- - TX-Austin
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
The successful candidate will perform research and development, and test and evaluation in support of defense, forensics, national security, and commercial projects. The candidate must be motivated to contribute in a team environment, collaborate across multiple scientific and technical disciplines, and be excited to develop new skills. The candidate will be based in our Austin, TX headquarters within the CBRNE Sciences Division. The candidate must have the flexibility to balance multiple on-going tasks while operating efficiently.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Collects and analyzes data using gas chromatography (GC), liquid chromatography with mass spectrometry detection (LCMS)
• Performs troubleshooting, maintenance, and method development on GCMS and LCMS instrumentation.
• Performs wet chemistry (dilutions, extractions, etc.).
• Participate in internal research and development projects, including the design, exectuion, and reporting of the projects
• Provide support to other programs and projects at SigSci as requested, including engineering and biochemistry business areas of SigSci.
• Composes and reviews technical reports and standard operating procedures.
• Composes, reviews, and executes test plans.
• Performs literature reviews.
• Safely handles explosives, narcotics, and other hazardous materials.
• Sources materials and submits purchase requests.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Detail oriented; able to appropriately and accurately document their work
• Hands-on laboratory experience in the natural or physical sciences is desired with candidates with specific analytical chemistry experience preferred
• Experience with gas and/or liquid chromatography, mass spectrometry, Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) or Raman, spectroscopy, and/or inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) is a plus
• Previous experience in a chemical analysis laboratory and experience in applying quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) procedures
• Previous research and development experience related to chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and/or explosive (CBRNE) threats is a plus
• Previous work in a microbiology laboratory is also a plus, including DNA/RNA laboratory activities
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Candidate must be able to think creatively and demonstrate curiosity in conducting R&D projects
• Familiarity with MS Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook is required
B.S. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or other related physical science and 2-8 years of additional relevant work experience; or a M.S. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or other physical science with 0–4 years of additional relevant work experience with an emphasis on research and development is required.
Certificates and Licenses:
Candidate must be willing to and able to complete a successful background screening to obtain and maintain a government security clearance. Candidates with an active security clearance will be given preference.
No staff supervisory responsibilities will be expected.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
Ability to sit or stand for long period of time at lab bench.
Movement of laboratory equipment may require some team lifts from time to time
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.