Forensics QA/QC Evidence Technician
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
Seeking a highly motivated QA/QC Evidence Technician eager to join our dynamic and fast-paced environment serving the forensic science community. The individual will functionally report to the QA Lead and will perform required QA/QC duties as well as serve as an alternate Evidence Custodian to receive, maintain, and return evidence, as required. Outside of QA/QC duties and evidence handling, other routine and non-routine tasks will be performed as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform lab work wearing appropriate PPE and practice good contamination control techniques.
- Adhere to proper handling and safeguarding of DNA samples and data.
- Extract DNA using multiple extraction procedures, quantify on a Real-Time PCR instrument, amplify using current, validated amplification kits, and analyze samples on current genetic analyzer platforms.
- Perform quality control of reagents according to SOPs and complete appropriate documentation.
- Make sound scientific decisions regarding sample processing and results.
- Perform calibration/maintenance of laboratory equipment according to manufacturing recommendations and/or SOPs to include adherence to maintenance schedules, documentation, and scheduling repair of instrumentation.
- Ensure evidence received at the laboratory is retrieved, accessioned, and stored per SOPs and the direction of the Team Leads in a timely manner.
- Verify sample documentation is complete and accurate upon receipt.
- Initiate proper documentation and sample data entry into appropriate sample tracking/ LIMS software.
- Coordinate with Team Leads on prioritization of new cases.
- Organize evidence and DNA extracts as directed by the Team Leads and ensure proper storage.
- Ensure samples and extracts are packaged and shipped properly according to SOPs.
- Locate and retrieve samples from archival storage.
- Assist in the development of SOPs, practices, and methods.
- Perform inventory and restock laboratories, as needed
- Decontaminate labware and consumables per SOPs.
- Assist in internal audits of instruments and equipment.
- Organize assigned activities to maximize efficiency, and alert management when technical issues or schedule delays arise.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSAs):The incumbent must:
- Read, write, and communicate fluently in English.
- Work and communicate effectively in a team environment.
- Possess sound reasoning skills and regularly shows ability to follow comprehensive standard instructions, with great attention to detail and guidance from company policy manuals and SOPs.
- Possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Excel.
- Be able to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and successfully perform work independently and as a member of a team.
Education/Experience: Incumbent must have at a minimum a BA/BS degree in biology, chemistry, or forensic science. Preference given to candidates with previous laboratory experience within an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited laboratory.
Clearance: This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance with CI Polygraph. Candidates with an active security clearance will receive preference.
Working Conditions/ Equipment: Must work in a laboratory environment that requires wearing PPE and standing for extended periods of time. Required to enter data and write reports by typing on a computer. Will have potential contact with hazardous materials, including biological fluids and must be able to lift up to 20 pounds without assistance and 40 pounds with assistance to handle evidence.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.