- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
Signature Science is seeking a highly motivated Forensic DNA analyst located in Charlottesville, VA. The purpose of this position is to operate as a member of a dynamic team to complete sample processing, analysis and reporting of casework items. This position may also be involved in various research and validation tasks. Key responsibilities include performing all aspects associated with examination, sampling, and DNA testing for forensic casework while complying with program and company requirements. Will work as part of a highly motivated team to process high-quality casework in a timely and efficient manner. Focus is on quality, meeting deadlines, flexibility to adapt to changing client needs, and customer service. Prior experience working in a forensic laboratory is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform lab work wearing appropriate PPE and practice good contamination control techniques.
- Adhere to proper handling and safeguarding of DNA samples and data.
- Perform DNA analysis on samples with diverse matrices and various levels of template DNA to include touch DNA samples.
- Extract DNA using multiple extraction procedures, quantify on a Real-Time PCR instrument, amplify using current, validated amplification kits, and analyze samples on current genetic analyzer platforms.
- Utilize and maintain a variety of modern scientific equipment such as Real-Time PCR, thermocyclers, and genetic analyzers.
- Make sound scientific decisions in regard to sample processing and results.
- Perform statistical analysis and interpretation of DNA results from diverse matrices and DNA template level for both single source and mixture results using manual and probabilistic genotyping interpretation methods.
- Prepare forensic reports.
- Perform technical reviews on casework.
- Help other staff members as needed to complete work and respond quickly to changing priorities in casework.
- Complete assignments within the designated timeframe.
- Organize assigned activities to maximize efficiency, and alert management when technical issues or schedule delays arise.
- Incorporate and expand quality assurance principles into laboratory operations.
- Perform maintenance tasks as requested.
- Participate in validation studies of new DNA methodology as well as established methods and procedures.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Incumbent must meet the DNA analyst requirements specified in the FBI QAS regarding education and experience.
- Read, write, and communicate fluently in English.
- Possess the ability to calculate statistics associated with casework.
- Possess sound reasoning skills and regularly show ability to follow detailed standard instructions, with great attention to detail and guidance from company policy manuals and forensic SOPs.
- Possess a working knowledge of Office 365; specifically, Outlook, Excel, and Word; instrument software (i.e., AB7500, AB3500xL); and data analysis software associated with DNA testing (i.e., GeneMapper ID-X, STRmix).
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Work and communicate effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Can successfully perform work independently and as a member of a team.
BS in biological sciences or a related field with 3+ years full time laboratory experience or MS degree with equivalent experience. Candidate must meet the DNA analyst requirements specified in the FBI QAS regarding education and experience.
Clearance: This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance with CI Polygraph. Candidates with an active security clearance will receive preference.
Working Conditions/ Equipment: Must work in a laboratory environment that requires wearing PPE and standing for extended periods of time. Required to enter data and write reports by typing on a computer. Will have potential contact with hazardous materials, including biological fluids and must be able to lift up to 20 pounds without assistance and 40 pounds with assistance to handle evidence.
Travel: Minimal travel is required for this position. Based on availability, technical qualifications, and candidate interest overseas deployment opportunities (up to 130 days) may be possible.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.