Senior Data Scientist
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
Signature Science provides a broad range of scientific and analytical expertise to our clients in both mission support and research & development. We're looking for another data scientist to add to our growing team of data scientists, bioinformaticians, statisticians, and software developers.
Team and position overview:
Our data science team supports efforts spanning human and microbial genomics, infectious disease modeling and forecasting, machine learning, and data-intensive infrastructure and architecture development to better equip laboratory scientists and analysts to derive insight from data. The team develops using R, tidyverse, Shiny, and deploys using a combination of Docker and various workflow managers.
- You'll learn to use established open-source domain-specific tools for manipulating and analyzing genomic and metagenomic data.
- You'll learn human population genetics, microbial genomics, and how these disciplines are applied in national security, from SigSci's team of domain experts with a long history working in this sector.
- Some of your work will require onsite presence at client installations, thus relocation to Charlottesville VA is preferred. However, most of the team you'll work with is geographically distributed and have been partially or fully remote since early 2020, and this position will be conducive to remote work in the future.
- Our distributed team has struck a balance between maintaining collaboration and availability while working remotely, while also prioritizing "focus time" to get deep work done by minimizing unnecessary meetings and maximizing effectiveness of asynchronous communication.
- You'll develop tools for managing, analyzing, and interpreting complex biological and genomic data.
- You'll build and deploy containers using Docker that encapsulate end-to-end data analysis workflows.
- You'll research, design, create, benchmark, and validate new methods for deriving insight from complex data, typically biological or life sciences data.
- You'll document these workflows and write detailed reports to client stakeholders summarizing the business intelligence value of these new R&D products.
About you (required skills & experience):
- You have 5+ years experience in data analysis using R and the tidyverse ecosystem, and you have a demonstrable fluency with data frame manipulation and tidying.
- You have a solid foundation in statistics, quantitative methods, and experimental design.
- You're an expert working in a Unix/Linux environment.
- You have good git hygiene, with demonstrable experience on GitHub/Gitlab/etc. working collaboratively with other data scientists in a team.
- You have demonstrable experience building and deploying Shiny applications.
- You've developed and deployed containerized scientific computing solutions using Docker. Even better, you have experience orchestrating containerized analysis workflows using Kubernetes or similar technologies.
- You're an expert at writing manuscripts, reports, and documentation using literate programming tools (RMarkdown, Jupyter Notebooks).
- You're familiar with how to use structured or unstructured database query technology (for example PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Spark, etc.) to answer research computing questions at scale.
- You have an advanced degree (PhD, MS) in data science or a related field, or a bachelor's degree with 7 years of comparable experience.
Security and clearance requirements:
The ability to obtain a Secret clearance and Department of Homeland Security suitability are required for this position.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.