Senior Rad/Nuc Chemist- Contingent
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
The successful candidate will be based in our Charlottesville, VA facility and support numerous research and development projects, test and evaluation, and forensic chemical analysis related to defense and national security. The candidate must be motivated to contribute to a team environment, collaborate across multiple scientific and technical disciplines, and be excited to develop new skills.
This position is contingent upon Signature Science winning a position on a laboratory support services contract. Contract award is anticipated in Fall 2022
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following services:
- Duties may be executed in a CONUS or OCONUS laboratory and include performing analyses of samples that have been collected
- Define new methods to support expansion of laboratory capabilities and improve/solve existing method deficiencies
- Assist in developing standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Review, evaluate, and analyze data from samples and provide database entry support
- Perform equipment/instrument maintenance
- Operate, maintain, and perform radiochemical sample analysis using applicable laboratory instrumentation and techniques required to identify attribution signatures (i.e., indicating country of origin such as geological/industrial, isotopic composition/ratios); characterization signatures (i.e., those indicating process such as chemical form, physical form); and indicative signatures (i.e., those that by themselves do not indicate origin, process, or use such as elemental composition, trace constituents)
- Utilize, maintain, and troubleshoot instrumentation such as the following:
- Gamma and alpha spectroscopy
- Liquid Scintillation Counting
- Inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometry (ICP-MS)
- Scanning electron microscopy-energy dispersive spectroscopy (SEM-EDS)
- X-ray fluorescence (XRF)
- X-ray diffraction (XRD)
- Compare sample results to a library of known results for the specific instrumentation and chemical being tested
- Use photographic equipment to capture still images of each evidence item and relevant key portions of the evidence item, or other exhibits, to support further analysis, conclusions, and documentation
- Document examination results/findings in the required Laboratory Information System(s) and
- Annotate the file documentation, detailing the processing techniques and the examination
- Perform administrative and/or technical reviews of files, reports, data, etc.
- Ensure a proper chain of custody for all evidence and samples is maintained
- Maintain a clean laboratory and personal workspace environment, in accordance with laboratory procedures
- Lead development and execution of test plans, validations, and method development
- This position may require irregular hours, to include work on weekends or after regular business hours. This position may require domestic travel.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience and use of techniques for radiation detection and characterization, alpha/beta/gamma counting and spectroscopy, imaging and microscopy, mass spectrometry, contamination control, and data analysis
- Experience and use of microscopy techniques to identify trace particles and fibers. Both optical and electronic microscope techniques
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency and experience with MS Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Attention to detail, and the ability to appropriately document work
- The ability to direct others to accomplish project tasks, as needed
- Flexibility to balance multiple on-going tasks while operating efficiently with minimal supervision
B.S. degree in radiochemistry, physics, nuclear engineering, or related field coupled with 10 years directly relatable experience; or a M.S. degree with 5 years of directly relatable experience; or a Ph.D. with at least 2 years of directly relatable experience.
This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to complete a successful background screening for a security clearance. Candidates with an active security clearance will receive preference.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.