- - TX-Austin
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
Position Summary: The incumbent will functionally report to the Evidence Manager and will receive and return evidence for the forensic practice and maintain appropriate chain of custody and documentation. Outside of evidence handling, other routine and non-routine duties will be performed as needed by the forensic DNA practice.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for ensuring that evidence received at SigSci is retrieved in a timely manner and properly logged in and stored per the forensic practice SOPs and the direction of the Evidence Manager.
- Ensure that chain of custody documentation is complete and accurate upon receipt.
- Initiate case documentation and enter case information into the LIMS.
- Coordinate with the Evidence Manager on new cases so that they can be properly assigned.
- Organize evidence and extracts as directed by the Evidence Manager and ensure that they are stored appropriately.
- Ensure that cases and extracts are packaged and shipped properly according to forensic practice SOPs.
- Conduct weekly decontamination of the forensic DNA laboratories to help ensure against DNA contamination.
- Wash racks and other labware daily per protocol.
- Keep the Evidence Room neat and tidy, including sweeping each week.
- Help stock the laboratories with consumables and ensure that they are properly documented in the STACS-CW software.
- Help decontaminate laboratory consumables by running them through the Stratalinker.
- Check laboratory, freezer, and refrigerator temperatures each workday.
- Perform work wearing appropriate PPE for the activity being performed and maintain awareness of contamination control.
- Perform maintenance tasks as requested.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual must have excellent attention to detail and follow through and must communicate effectively.
Education/Experience: Incumbent must have a high school diploma or equivalent and must complete an ethics training course specific to forensic DNA work.
Language Ability: Incumbent must be able to read, write, and communicate fluently in English. Incumbent must be able to read and comprehend short correspondence and memos and write short correspondence for both internal and external consumption. Must be able to communicate professionally with clients as needed.
Math Ability: Incumbent must possess the ability to calculate figures and amounts such as turn-around times and have a mastery of basic arithmetic.
Reasoning Ability: Incumbent must possess sound reasoning skills and regularly show ability to follow detailed standard instructions, with great attention to detail and guidance from company policy manuals and forensic SOPs.
Computer Skills:Incumbent must possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access.
Certificates and Licenses: None.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The incumbent will work in a general office environment with general office equipment available.
- The incumbent will have potential contact with hazardous materials, including biological fluids and dry ice.
- The incumbent will be required to work a set schedule negotiated with the supervisor.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The incumbent will carry or otherwise transfer boxes of evidence arriving at reception and return boxes to shipping.
- The incumbent must be able to lift up to 20 pounds without assistance and 40 pounds with assistance to complete shipping activities.
- The incumbent must be able to stand for extended periods of time while performing laboratory duties.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.