Entry- Level Chemist
- - TX-Austin
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
The successful candidate will plan, execute, document, and report on a range technical activities to support the execution of projects within in the CBRNE Sciences Business Area.
Performance of all job duties is intended to be completed under limited direct supervision of the supervisor.
Essential Duties and Reponsibilities:
- Apply technical skills to plan and execute assigned project work including chemical analysis, developing analysis methods, chemical synthesis, instrument testing and evaluation, and instrument development.
- Maintain operational capabilities of LC-MS, GC-MS, and other instrumentation including performing maintenance activities as designated by cognizant lab manager following appropriate training.
- Support meetings with company clients by preparing meeting materials and attending client meetings as needed.
- Handle explosives, narcotics, and toxic chemicals in the form of solutions and neat materials following appropriate training.
- Dispose of chemical waste properly and in accordance with applicable laws and internal procedures.
- Appropriately document experimental results in laboratory notebooks, benchsheets, and reports.
- Support the presentation of technical results through the drafting of reports and presentation materials.
- Present experimental results and recommended actions at internal project meetings.
- Conform to company health and safety measures including wearing of appropriate PPE, undertaking medical monitoring, and reporting observed H&S deficiencies.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge in properly designing and executing scientific experiments
• Ability to think creatively to execute and plan experiments to answer technical questions
• Experience in chemical analysis, chemical synthesis, or test and evaluation of analytical equipment
• Experience in calculating airborne vapor concentrations and conducting vapor testing is preferred
• Working knowledge of statistics as it applies to scientific data
• Proficient with MS Office
• Knowledge of Agilent MassHunter, Xcalibur, Chemstation is preferred
• Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
• Ability to thoroughly document technical experiments
Successful candidate must have a bachelor's degree and 0-3 years of professional experience.
Certificates & Licenses:
Candidate will be required to be included as an Employee Possessor on SigSci's ATF permit.
Candidate must be willing to seek and maintain government security clearance at the SECRET level following hire. Candidates with current DoD SECRET or other clearance are preferred.
No staff supervisory responsibilities will be expected.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The incumbent will work in a general office environment with general office equipment and in laboratories at the Austin campus.
Limited domestic travel may be required up to 15 % time. Infrequently incumbent will be needed to work after-hours/weekends.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The incumbent should be able to lift up to 25 pounds without assistance and 50 pounds with assistance to complete laboratory maintenance activities.
- Incumbent may have to wear and function in personal protective equipment, including a respirator for limited periods of time.
- Incumbent will be required to complete company paid for medical monitoring.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties as assigned by their supervisor.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings