- - TX-Austin
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
Position Summary: The incumbent will manage and properly document incoming and outgoing casework evidence and work products for the forensic DNA practice. Must possess a high degree of ethics and be extremely responsible and responsive.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for ensuring that evidence received at SigSci is retrieved in a timely manner and properly logged in and stored per the forensic practice SOPs.
- Ensure that chain of custody documentation is complete and accurate upon receipt.
- Initiate case documentation and enter case information into the case database.
- Coordinate with the Unit Manager on new cases so that they can be properly assigned.
- Organize evidence and extracts and ensure they are stored appropriately.
- Schedule with clients on evidence and extract returns at an appropriate interval, and ensure that cases and extracts are packaged and shipped properly according to forensic practice SOPs.
- Assist with weekly laboratory decontamination.
- Retrieve materials from receiving then print and apply bar codes.
- Maintain the status spreadsheets for each client.
- Train junior staff in evidence receipt and/or returns as needed.
- Monitor and maintain the inventory of consumables, and initiate purchases as necessary.
- Respond to requests for discovery from clients.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual must have excellent attention to detail, be highly organized and proactive, and diligently follow through on tasking. Must communicate effectively and professionally both internally and with external clients.
Education/Experience: Incumbent must have a high school diploma or equivalent and at least five years of experience in tracking/managing evidence or other related inventory items (e.g., warehouse management). Less experience may be acceptable with higher levels of education.
Language Ability: Incumbent must be able to read, write, and communicate fluently in English. Incumbent must be able to read and comprehend short correspondence and memos, and write short correspondence for both internal and external consumption.
Math Ability: Incumbent must possess the ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, and percentages, and have a mastery of basic arithmetic.
Reasoning Ability: Incumbent must possess sound reasoning skills and regularly show ability to follow detailed standard instructions, with great attention to detail and guidance from company policy manuals and forensic SOPs. Must be able to be proactive and use critical thinking to ensure smooth operations of the evidence areas.
Computer Skills:Incumbent must possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access.
Certificates and Licenses: Certification in evidence management is required. This may be obtained on the job.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Train and supervise junior staff supporting evidence handling.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The incumbent will work in a general office environment with general office equipment available.
- The incumbent will have potential contact with hazardous materials, including biological fluids and dry ice.
- The incumbent will wear appropriate PPE as specified for each laboratory, including lab coat, gloves, eye protection, and masks (where needed).
- The incumbent will be required to work a set schedule negotiated with the supervisor.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The incumbent will carry or otherwise transfer boxes of evidence arriving at reception, and return boxes to shipping.
- The incumbent must be able to lift up to 20 pounds without assistance and 40 pounds with assistance to complete shipping activities.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.