- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
Position Purpose: Designs, develops, tests, and evaluates new products, applying knowledge of engineering and chemistry. Reviews and evaluates designs for improving performance or other factors, or to obtain data for development. Plans, researches, analyzes, synthesizes, and experiments for product development and application, quantitative and qualitative analysis, and improvement of analytical methodologies. Analyzes samples from various sources to provide information on compounds or quantities of compounds present, using analytical techniques and instrumentation, such as gas and high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), ion mobility spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, and spectroscopy (infrared and ultraviolet, amongst others).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and tests new products, applying knowledge of engineering and chemistry.
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams and vendors to define, design and deliver new products, technical solutions, and enhancements that work cohesively and meet the needs of the company, its clients, and the end users.
- Develops test specifications, procedures and objectives.
- Interprets data and adheres to strict guidelines on documentation when recording data.
- Confers with scientists and engineers regarding product development, and assists in the preparation of technical papers and reports.
- Prepares standards and specifications for processes, facilities, products, and tests.
- Analyzes the chemical nature and make-up of substances using a variety of modern analytical techniques, methods, and high technology instrumentation.
- Determines nature of technical problems and possible solutions, such as product redesign, substitution of material or parts, or rearrangement of parts or subassemblies.
- Maintains awareness of and remains up to date with health and safety issues in all aspects of the work undertaken.
- Sets up and conducts tests of complete units and components under operational conditions to investigate design proposals for improving performance or other factors, or to obtain data for development, standardization, and quality control.
- Analyzes indicated and calculated test results in relation to design or rated specifications and test objectives, and modifies or adjusts equipment to meet specifications within strict configuration control guidelines.
- Assists in the formulation of overall objectives, policies, plans, and programs, and provides technical and specialized functional services and recommendations for carrying them out.
- Communicates product improvements to stakeholders and key customers.
- Supports on site testing at customer sites for extended periods of time to support product development activities.
- May attend tradeshows, technical conferences and symposiums to promote the product.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Understanding of chemistry and engineering principles
- Aptitude for, and interest in instrument design and product development
- Direct experience with instrumentation specifically ion mobility spectroscopy and mass spectrometry preferred
- Analytical and problem-solving ability
- Demonstrated ability in producing written material to present to customers
- Understanding of typical industry standard program metrics
- Working knowledge of Risk and Opportunity management
- Chemical sampler development/analysis knowledge and experience desired
- Demonstrated ability to relay and receive information (i.e. collaboration, presentation and consulting skills)
- Able to prioritize multiple responsibilities and/or accomplishing them simultaneously.
- Demonstrated success working individually or as part of a team requiring little supervision
Bachelor's degree and 5+ years of Chemistry/Product Development/Engineering experience -OR- Masters and 3+ years of Chemistry/Product Development/Engineering experience.
Certificates & Licenses:
Clearance: This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to complete a successful background screening for a security clearance. Candidates with an active security clearance will receive preference. *Must be a US Citizen*
Supervisory Responsibilities: Little to no supervisory responsibilities.
Working Conditions/ Equipment: The candidate is expected to work and/or be available during regular business hours. He/she should also generally be available via e-mail or phone during non-business hours as needed to address critical issues or emergencies. He/she may be required to travel on behalf of the company up to 50%.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.