Research Chemist - Contingent
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Huntsville, AL, USA
- Full Time
About Signature Science:
For nearly two decades, Signature Science, LLC has brought together bright scientists and engineers to apply their expertise to programs that help keep our nation safe. Our scientists and technicians perform analyses and conduct research and development activities in our laboratories or at our clients' site laboratories, advancing science while working with state-of-the-art instrumentation. We are poised to continue to our corporate growth in the service of national security and criminal justice.
The Research Chemist ensures safe and continuous operations in support of the TIEDS Center.
This position is contingent upon Signature Science winning a position on the FBI Laboratory Support Services contract. Contract award is anticipated in Spring 2021.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following services:
- The RC shall be trained to understand IEs preparatory methods, handling procedures, safety protocols, and explosives test range processes that are unique to TIEDS.
- Work as a member of a team employing excellent communication skills, discretion, and cooperation.
- Demonstrate leadership and project management abilities to advance thoughts and concepts.
- Generate project plans, write test procedures, record and analyze test data, write test reports, perform small scale chemical synthesis, conduct process scale up and formulation, perform chemical and physical characterization using advanced instrumentation, run explosives hazard testing, carry out explosives performance evaluation, and assist with IED construction and lethality assessment.
- Purchase and inventory chemicals, purchase and inventory laboratory equipment, prepare chemical solutions, maintain glassware, perform basic chemical synthesis of non-energetic molecules and materials as needed, isolate reaction products, and manage wastes.
- Support operations at the Department of Homeland Security Detection Technology (DTC), by suppling IEs and IEDs, assisting with explosives and device handling, and retrieving the devices following detection analysis.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Knowledge of policy and procedures related to chemical use, waste generation, and waste disposal are essential. Willingness to learn about chemical processes necessary to prepare energetic materials and the techniques used to characterize energetic materials and explosive formulations. Ability to interpret research findings in terms of the potential impact on the direction of Improvised Explosives research efforts is desired. Competence in describing observations and preparing concise and informative reports based on data collected from the characterization efforts.
Education: Bachelors degree in Chemistry, Biology, Physics, or Materials Science and at least two (2) full semesters of Organic Chemistry with corresponding labs. Two (2) semesters of Analytical Chemistry and its labs are preferred.
Experience: Working with a variety of organic materials to provide support to the TIEDS Synthesis lead and other TIEDS scientists with three (3) years of experience in a chemical research environment and a working knowledge of chemical characterization instrumentation such as, but not limited to: FT-IR, Raman spectroscopy, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR), High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM), Mass Spectrometry (MS), TGA and DSC.
Certificates and Licenses:
Candidates should possess an active Top Secret security clearance.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
Chemists will work at the client site in Huntsville, AL.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.