Physical Scientist/Evidence Analyst – 1 – Contingent
- - VA-Arlington
- Quantico, VA, USA
- Full Time
About Signature Science:
For nearly two decades, Signature Science, LLC has brought together bright scientists and engineers to apply their expertise to programs that help keep our nation safe. Our scientists and technicians perform analyses and conduct research and development activities in our laboratories or at our clients' site laboratories, advancing science while working with state-of-the-art instrumentation. We are poised to continue to our corporate growth in the service of national security and criminal justice.
The Physical Scientist/Evidence Analyst processes and documents firearms evidence in the laboratory. Strict protocols are followed regarding the custody of evidence, testing procedures, and reporting guidelines. Every step of the procedure must be notated and reported, including sample receipt, sample quality, the tests performed, and the test results.
This position is contingent upon Signature Science winning a position on the FBI Laboratory Support Services contract. Contract award is anticipated in Spring 2021.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following services:
- Receive and account for boxes of evidence and related materials.
- Visually inspect and process evidence and related materials for firearms evidence; photograph evidence and related materials; remove hairs and fibers from evidence and related materials; create microscopic slides for hairs and fibers; mount hairs and fibers on slides; and create inventory slides.
- Entry of information into various databases.
- Record case notes, photographs, chain-of-custody form, electronic communication, and slide inventory.
- Use eLab software for evidence inventory, tracking, and flow.
- Maintain proper chain-of-custody for all forensic material under examination.
- Perform routine maintenance and QC checks on laboratory equipment.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Use of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook).
- Course work in forensics.
- Attention to detail.
- Familiarization with QA / QC.
- Experience with a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
- Written and verbal communication skills.
Education: B.S. degree with at least twenty-four (24) credit hours in the physical sciences.
Experience: No prior experience required.
Certificates and Licenses:
Candidates should possess an active Top Secret security clearance.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
Physical Scientist/Evidence Analysts will work at the client site in Quantico, VA.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.