- - TX-Austin
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
The Bioinformatics Specialist will provide support to develop novel solutions for current and future projects involving the science of deducing relevant information from complex data sets, including but not limited to, the curation of large databases of genetic information and the analysis of next generation sequencing (NGS) data. The introduction of NGS and other rapid characterization technologies have led to an exponential increase of data acquisition and to concomitant bottlenecks regarding data storage, computational needs, and novel systematic and random error issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support projects through employing efficient and accurate data evaluation techniques, appropriately interpreting novel scenarios with limited support data, placing levels of statistical confidence on data output, and clearly reporting results.
- Support technical tasks or projects within a collaborative teaming environment. The Bioinformatics Specialist may work within a team of molecular biologists, forensic scientists, database specialists, bioinformaticists, and/or statisticians to provide solutions to maximize the utility, confidence, and rapid reporting of results for large genomic/proteomic data sets.
- Provide computational support for internal bioinformatics objectives, as well as for ongoing customer-driven projects, including experiment design, genome-wide association studies, analysis of gene expression, algorithm and NGS pipeline development, end user trainings, and client interactions.
- Interact with clients (on and off-site) as requested and present technical data through presentations and report writing.
- Complete assignments within the designated timeframe and budget, organize assigned activities to maximize efficiency, and alert management when technical or schedule problems arise.
- Help grow the biological sciences business area through the successful and timely execution of projects, positive interactions with clients, recognition of opportunities for follow-on work with existing clients, establishment of new opportunities with alternate clients, proposal development and writing support, and maintaining a presence at marketing and business development meetings/conferences.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to understand and create new ontologies for the curation of DNA sequences, SNPs, and/or STRs.
- Ability to cogently define and document requirements related to the development or redesigned of large bioinformatics-related databases.
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills and abilities.
Education/Experience: PhD or MS in bioinformatics, computational biology, or molecular biology (with a strong computational background), or related area.
Certificates and Licenses: None.
Clearance: Must be willing to submit and be eligible for a DoD secret clearance (i.e., must be subject to and pass a background investigation and must be a U.S. citizen.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
Working Conditions/ Equipment: Required to work in an office environment at a desk with a computer. May be required to travel by air out of state for client or other meetings.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings