Forensic DNA Analyst
- - TX-Austin
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
The incumbent is responsible for performing all aspects associated with screening and DNA testing for forensic casework while complying with client and company requirements. Will work as part of a highly-motivated team to process high-quality casework in a timely and efficient manner. Focus is on quality, meeting client deadlines, flexibility to adapt to changing client needs, and customer service.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform assigned casework following established SOPs, working under the direction of the lead person (for batch cases), or working independently on standard turn-around individual cases that are not complex.
- Ensure that chain of custody documentation is complete and that accurate and practice good contamination control techniques are used.
- Perform screening and DNA analysis on samples with diverse matrices and various levels of template DNA to include touch DNA samples.
- Extract DNA using multiple extraction procedures including differential extraction, quantify on a Real-Time PCR instrument, amplify using current, validated amplification kits, and analyze samples on current genetic analyzer platforms.
- Utilize and maintain a variety of modern scientific equipment such as Real-Time PCR, thermocyclers, and genetic analyzers.
- Make sound scientific decisions with regard to DNA scientific results obtained.
- Perform statistical analysis and interpretation of DNA results from diverse matrices and DNA template level for both single source and mixture results, including using probabilistic genotyping where appropriate.
- Prepare reagents and aliquot as assigned.
- Incorporate and expand quality assurance principles into the laboratory operation.
- Respond to internal and external inquiries orally and in writing.
- Prepare forensic reports.
- Complete assignments within the designated timeframe.
- Organize assigned activities to maximize efficiency, and alert management when technical or schedule problems arise.
- Provide expert testimony in a court of law.
- Perform maintenance tasks as requested.
- Perform administrative reviews on casework.
- Routinely performs second reads on GMID-X data
- Support validation tasks as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Incumbent must meet the DNA analyst requirements specified in the FBI QAS regarding education and experience.
- Read, write, and communicate fluently in English
- Possess the ability to calculate statistics associated with casework
- Possess sound reasoning skills and regularly show ability to follow detailed standard instructions, with great attention to detail and guidance from company policy manuals and forensic SOPs
- Possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office; specifically, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access; instrument software (i.e., AB7500, AB3500xL); and data analysis software associated with DNA testing (i.e., GeneMapper ID-X)
- Use the STACS™-CW tracking software for casework and maintenance activities
- Communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
Education/Experience: Must meet the DNA Analyst requirements specified in the FBI QAS regarding education and experience. Possess at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in a technical or scientific discipline. May have limited work experience.
Certificates and Licenses: . MUST be a current or previously qualified Forensic DNA Analyst. Current Texas Forensic Science Commission license is preferable but not required.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
Working Conditions/ Equipment: Must work in a laboratory environment that requires wearing PPE and standing for extended periods of time. Required to enter data and write reports by typing on a computer. Will have potential contact with hazardous materials, including biological fluids and must be able to lift up to 20 pounds without assistance and 40 pounds with assistance to handle evidence.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.