Physical Scientist/Evidence Analyst - 2 - Contingent
- - VA-Arlington
- Quantico, VA, USA
- Full Time
About Signature Science:
For nearly two decades, Signature Science, LLC has brought together bright scientists and engineers to apply their expertise to programs that help keep our nation safe. Our scientists and technicians perform analyses and conduct research and development activities in our laboratories or at our clients' site laboratories, advancing science while working with state-of-the-art instrumentation. We are poised to continue to our corporate growth in the service of national security and criminal justice.
The Evidence Analyst / Physical Scientist provides forensic evidence services to properly inventory items, check-in evidence, perform data entry into multiple database systems, follow proper classification guidelines, mailing/shipping evidence, proper serialization and storage of all case records and maintain case records, and the chains-of-custody for all evidence and forensic materials. EA personnel must complete an internal training program for working with evidence.
This position is contingent upon Signature Science winning a position on the FBI Laboratory Support Services contract. Contract award is anticipated in September 2020.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following services:
- Receive evidence submissions.
- Open and inventory contents of evidence submissions.
- Create appropriate laboratory examination plans; enter accurate data (laboratory number, case ID number, item numbers, and descriptions) into various database tracking systems.
- Create and utilize either electronic or paper chain-of-custody forms for all evidence transfers.
- Utilize Sentinel and other USG database tracking and record systems for researching incidents and determining appropriate classification designations.
- Enter data into EXPeRT, Forensic Advantage (FA), and / or other database systems; create examination plans; generate barcode labels, packaging, and shipping of evidence.
- Photograph contents of submission so that accurate records are maintained for casefiles.
- Upload photographs to local hard drives and backup hard drives.
- Upload photographs to appropriate databases.
- Stage evidence submissions and documentation for processing by the forensic and technical exploitation teams.
- Prepare evidence submissions for return to contributor or central repository and / or packaging / shipping to other designated locations.
- Review documents and photographs to ensure that appropriate classification and dissemination marking are present. If not, then add the appropriate markings to the records, as appropriate.
- Prepare all administrative case records for final closure by ensuring they are compiled, marked and serialized in Sentinel.
- Support activities, functions, or duties, as defined in future TOs.
- Research, develop, and author whitepapers and information papers, as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Computer data entry.
- Course work in forensics.
- Attention to detail.
- Familiarization with QA / QC.
- Experience with a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
Education: B.S. degree in the Sciences.
Experience: One (1) year of experience.
Certificates and Licenses:
Candidates should be eligible for or possess a TS clearance.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
Physical Scientist/Evidence Analysts will work at the client site in Quantico, VA.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.