Trace Evidence Technician - Contingent
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Huntsville, AL, USA
- Full Time
About Signature Science:
For nearly two decades, Signature Science, LLC has brought together bright scientists and engineers to apply their expertise to programs that help keep our nation safe. Our scientists and technicians perform analyses and conduct research and development activities in our laboratories or at our clients' site laboratories, advancing science while working with state-of-the-art instrumentation. We are poised to continue to our corporate growth in the service of national security and criminal justice.
The Trace Evidence Technician provides trace evidence services in support of the TEDAC Forensic Operations program. Trace evidence typically encompasses of processing and examining hairs and fibers, and objects that are made up of fibers (e.g., fabric or cordage) found in or attached to explosive devices or related materials collected and submitted to TEDAC for examination.
This position is contingent upon Signature Science winning a position on the FBI Laboratory Support Services contract. Contract award is anticipated in September 2020.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following services:
- Receive and account for boxes of evidence and related materials from the TEDAC Evidence Management Unit (EMU).
- Visually inspect and process evidence and related materials for trace evidence; photograph evidence and related materials; remove hairs and fibers from evidence and related materials; create microscope slides for hairs and fibers; mount hairs and fibers on slides; and create inventory of slides;.
- Conduct examinations using comparison (stereo) microscopes, fluorescence microscope, polarized light, microscope spectrometer (MSP), and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), among other scientific instruments and techniques.
- Calibrate instruments used for forensic examinations and analysis.
- Author, review, and provide QC of case notes and reports, photographs, chain-of- custody form, electronic communications, and slide inventory detailing findings of analysis, examinations, and conclusions.
- Use the current database network for evidence inventory, tracking, and flow.
- Maintain proper chain-of-custody of all forensic material under examination.
- Serve as instrument specialists and provide service and maintenance to instrumentation; including development of new procedures and bringing new instrumentation and methods online for casework.
- Support activities, functions, or duties as defined in future TOs.
- Participates with senior personnel in research studies which involve systematic, critical and intensive investigation necessary for the development of experimental processes.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Demonstrated ability to study and pass training, examination, and testing assessments.
Education: Bachelor of Science degree in the natural sciences or a closely related field with at least twenty-four (24) credit hours in the physical or life sciences (e.g., chemistry, biology, or geology).
Experience: At least one (1) year experience as a Physical Scientist in an accredited laboratory.
Certificates and Licenses:
Candidates should be eligible for or possess a TS clearance.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
Trace Evidence Technicians will work at the client site in Huntsville, AL.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings