Toolmarks Technician - Contingent
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Huntsville, AL, USA
- Full Time
About Signature Science:
For nearly two decades, Signature Science, LLC has brought together bright scientists and engineers to apply their expertise to programs that help keep our nation safe. Our scientists and technicians perform analyses and conduct research and development activities in our laboratories or at our clients' site laboratories, advancing science while working with state-of-the-art instrumentation. We are poised to continue to our corporate growth in the service of national security and criminal justice.
The Toolmark Technician provides toolmark services in support of the TEDAC's counter-IED mission. Toolmark evidence typically encompasses shear marks on copper linings from explosively formed projectiles (EFPs), stamps from pneumatic presses on the surface of liners, toolmarks from various tools, nuts, and bolts on the machinery that forms EFP liners, rivets used to assemble EFPs, and microscopic irregularities on the surface of EFP liners imprinted during the stamping and cutting process.
This position is contingent upon Signature Science winning a position on the FBI Laboratory Support Services contract. Contract award is anticipated in September 2020.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following services:
- Receive and account for boxes of evidence and related materials from the EMU.
- Visually inspect and clean evidence and related materials; photograph evidence and related materials; prepare casts of EFPs; bag and number casts.
- Categorize EFPs by class and individual characteristics.
- Compare EFP castings to other submissions using an image library of EFP casting photographs.
- Conduct examinations using comparison (stereo) microscopes, desk scope, among other scientific instruments and techniques.
- Ensure daily performance check of calibration on instruments used for forensic examinations and analysis, as appropriate.
- Author, review, and provide QC of case notes, photographs, chain of custody form, and electronic communications.
- Use the current database network for evidence inventory, tracking, and flow.
- Maintain proper chain of custody of all forensic material under examination.
- Follow all QA/QC procedures, protocols and adhere to LD policies and procedures related to its accreditation and safety standards.
- Support activities, functions, or duties as defined in future TOs.
- Research, develop, and author whitepapers and information papers, as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Demonstrated ability to study and pass training, examination, and testing assessments.
Education: B.S. degree.
Experience: Prefer one (1) year recent experience as a Physical Scientist in an accredited laboratory.
Certificates and Licenses:
Candidates should be eligible for or possess a TS clearance.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
Toolmarks Technicians will work at the client site in Huntsville, AL.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.