Physical Scientist - 3 - Contingent
- - VA-Arlington
- Quantico, VA, USA
- Full Time
About Signature Science:
For nearly two decades, Signature Science, LLC has brought together bright scientists and engineers to apply their expertise to programs that help keep our nation safe. Our scientists and technicians perform analyses and conduct research and development activities in our laboratories or at our clients' site laboratories, advancing science while working with state-of-the-art instrumentation. We are poised to continue to our corporate growth in the service of national security and criminal justice.
The Physical Scientist spends most of their time in the laboratory processing and analyzing trace evidence. Since the findings from the analysis can be used in court, analysts must follow strict protocols regarding the custody of evidence, testing procedures, and reporting guidelines. Every step of the procedure must be notated and reported, which includes when the sample was received, the quality of the sample, the tests performed, and the test results. Analysts may be called to appear in court as a fact witnesses to verify the findings of a particular trace evidence analysis.
In the LD, the scientists also perform routine maintenance and QC checks on lab equipment. They maintain each piece of equipment, check for damages, and request replacement equipment as needed.
This position is contingent upon Signature Science winning a position on the FBI Laboratory Support Services contract. Contract award is anticipated in Spring 2021.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following services:
- Receive and account for boxes of evidence and related materials from the EMP.
- Visually inspect and process evidence and related materials for trace evidence; photograph evidence and related materials; remove hairs and fibers from evidence and related materials; create microscopic slides for hairs and fibers; mount hairs and fibers on slides; and create inventory slides.
- Record case notes, photographs, chain-of-custody form, electronic communication, and slide inventory.
- Use eLab software for evidence inventory, tracking, and flow.
- Maintain proper chain-of-custody for all forensic material under examination.
- Support activities, functions, or duties, as defined in future TOs.
- Participates with senior personnel in research studies which involve systematic, critical and intensive investigation necessary for the development of experimental processes.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Basic computer skills, to include use of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook); organization skills; flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities; ability to analyze complex or challenging situations; verbal and written communication skills.
Education: B.S. degree with at least twenty-four (24) credit hours in the physical sciences.
Experience: No prior experience required.
Certificates and Licenses:
Candidates should possess an active Top Secret security clearance.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
Physical Scientists will work at the client site in Quantico, VA.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.