Explosives Range Technician - Contingent
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Huntsville, AL, USA
- Full Time
About Signature Science:
For nearly two decades, Signature Science, LLC has brought together bright scientists and engineers to apply their expertise to programs that help keep our nation safe. Our scientists and technicians perform analyses and conduct research and development activities in our laboratories or at our clients' site laboratories, advancing science while working with state-of-the-art instrumentation. We are poised to continue to our corporate growth in the service of national security and criminal justice.
The Explosives Range Technician serves as the explosives RSO to ensure that safe test operations take place and that all scientists, technicians, and visitors are aware of range hazards and conduct themselves in a safe manner which is essential to the basic function of the TIEDS - TEDAC Improvised Explosives Detection and Synthesis Center. The ERT shall serve as a support engineer and will be required to work as a member of a team employing well developed communication skills, discretion, and cooperation.
This position is contingent upon Signature Science winning a position on the FBI Laboratory Support Services contract. Contract award is anticipated in September 2020.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following services:
- Aid energetic material characterization efforts designed to understand explosives hazards and performance properties.
- Develop and write safety plans, provide a range safety overview to new personnel and visitors, purchase and inventory test range equipment, prepare and maintain the explosives test range for experimentation, maintain the test range equipment, manage wastes, support and perform explosives production operations, support and perform explosives hazard and performance characterization.
- Support operations at the Department of Homeland Security Detection Technology (DTC), by suppling IEs and IEDs, assisting with explosives and device handling, and retrieving the devices following detection analysis.
- Demonstrate knowledge of policy and procedures related to waste generation, and waste disposal are essential.
- Test fixture design and production according to drawings and schematics, experience with oscilloscopes, piezo pins, and high speed videography.
- Research, develop, and author whitepapers and information papers, as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong background in electrical engineering, welding, woodworking, and metalworking in order to assist with IED construction and lethality assessment. Knowledge of chemistry, physics, materials science, and electrical engineering.
- Be familiar with all aspects of range operation, EOD, and capability to clearly communicate with other EOD personnel as required.
- Willingness to learn about chemical processes necessary to prepare energetic materials and the techniques used to characterize energetic materials and explosive formulations.
- Competence with heavy equipment such as forklifts and tractors.
Education: High School diploma.
Experience: At least three (3) years of experience working with explosives, pyrotechnics, propellants, explosive production / disposal and experience with blasting machines, initiators, firing units, and their maintenance. Familiarity with a variety of detonation techniques.
Certificates and Licenses:
Ability to obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
Candidates should be eligible for or possess a TS clearance.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
ERTs will work at the client site in Huntsville, AL.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings