Chemist - Contingent
- - VA-Arlington
- Quantico, VA, USA
- Full Time
About Signature Science:
For nearly two decades, Signature Science, LLC has brought together bright scientists and engineers to apply their expertise to programs that help keep our nation safe. Our scientists and technicians perform analyses and conduct research and development activities in our laboratories or at our clients' site laboratories, advancing science while working with state-of-the-art instrumentation. We are poised to continue to our corporate growth in the service of national security and criminal justice.
The Chemist provides chemistry forensic examination services in support of chemical and metallurgical casework in the Chemistry Unit.
This position is contingent upon Signature Science winning a position on the FBI Laboratory Support Services contract. Contract award is anticipated in September 2020.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following services:
- Inventory items, to include biological specimens, received in antemortem and postmortem investigations. Document condition as received. Repackage evidence, including biological specimens, for return to submitting agency, and delivery to Evidence Staff or Mailroom Personnel.
- Use chemical and physical techniques such as solid phase extraction and liquid extraction to isolate drugs, metabolites, and poisons from biological specimens.
- Conduct analyses of samples and extracts using headspace analysis, gas chromatography, liquid chromatography, mass spectrometry, enzyme immunoassay, and other laboratory instrumentation.
- Author detailed forensic laboratory notes and supporting documentation.
- Use the current database network for evidence inventory, tracking, and flow.
- Maintain proper chain of custody of all forensic material under examination.
- Follow all QA / QC procedures, protocols, and adhere to FBI Laboratory policies and procedures related to accreditation and safety standards.
- Prepare traceable analytical standards using calibrated balances, calibrated pipets, and simple math.
- Generate quantitative results using instrument software packages and commercial spreadsheets.
- Prepare and properly store and mark laboratory reagents.
- General housekeeping maintenance; such as, sweeping and washing laboratory glassware.
- Support activities, functions, or duties as defined in future TOs.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Demonstrated ability to study and pass training, examination, and testing assessments.
Education: B.S. Degree in Chemistry with at least thirty (30) credit hours in chemistry and at least six (6) hours in Physics, and course work that includes differential equations and integral calculus.
Experience: At least one (1) year of recent experience as a chemist, toxicologist or equivalent in an accredited laboratory.
Certificates and Licenses:
Candidates should be eligible for or possess a TS clearance.
Working Conditions / Equipment:
Chemists will work at the client site in Quantico, VA. See other posting for Chemist position in Huntsville, AL.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.