Biologist / Forensic Examiner - Contingent
- - VA-Arlington
- Quantico, VA, USA
- Full Time
About Signature Science:
For nearly two decades, Signature Science, LLC has brought together bright scientists and engineers to apply their expertise to programs that help keep our nation safe. Our scientists and technicians perform analyses and conduct research and development activities in our laboratories or at our clients' site laboratories, advancing science while working with state-of-the-art instrumentation. We are poised to continue to our corporate growth in the service of national security and criminal justice.
The Biologist / Forensic Examiner provides a wide range of forensic examination services in forensic disciplines, including DNA data-basing that support the BAS. The Contractor shall also assist in instrument calibration and validation in compliance with Unit specific and LD QA standards and policies.
This position is contingent upon Signature Science winning a position on the FBI Laboratory Support Services contract. Contract award is anticipated in Spring 2021.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following services:
- Receive and account for boxes of evidence and related materials from contributors.
- Visually inspect and process evidence and related materials for mitochondrial and / or nuclear DNA as appropriate; isolate and collect materials for analysis from appropriate areas of various evidentiary materials; prepare samples for instrumental analysis; and associate samples with other existing submissions (as appropriate).
- Make an initial determination of the types of samples suitable for analysis and select appropriate protocols for conducting the examination of materials.
- Conduct DNA examinations on items of evidence.
- Calibrate instruments used for forensic examinations and analysis.
- Use STACS and or FA for evidence inventory, tracking, and flow.
- Maintain proper chain-of-custody of all forensic material under examination.
- Follow all QA / QC procedures, protocols and adhere to LD policies and procedures related to its accreditation and safety standards.
- Conduct DNA analysis and comparisons of profiles or sequences as appropriate.
- Author forensic reports to include all laboratory notes and supporting documentation.
- Provide all generated profiles or sequences in a format necessary for inclusion, storage, and searching of the appropriate DNA databases.
- Conduct technical and administrative reviews of all work.
- Support activities, functions, or duties, as defined in future TOs.
- Research, develop, and author whitepapers and information papers, as required.
- Communication with contributors as necessary.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Basic computer skills, to include use of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook); organization skills; flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities; demonstrated ability to study and pass training, examination, and testing assessments; verbal and written communication skills.
Education: B.A. in Biology, Chemistry, or related field of biological science from an accredited university / college. Successfully completed coursework in the following subject areas: nine (9) semester hours in the fields of biochemistry, genetics, and molecular biology as well as coursework and / or training in statistics and/or population genetics as it applies to forensic DNA analysis.
Experience: At least one (1) year as a DNA Examiner in an accredited forensic laboratory.
Certificates and Licenses:
Candidates should possess an active Top Secret security clearance.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
Biologist / Forensic Examiners will work at the client site in Quantico, VA.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.