Biologist Researcher - Contingent
- - VA-Arlington
- Quantico, VA, USA
- Full Time
About Signature Science:
For nearly two decades, Signature Science, LLC has brought together bright scientists and engineers to apply their expertise to programs that help keep our nation safe. Our scientists and technicians perform analyses and conduct research and development activities in our laboratories or at our clients' site laboratories, advancing science while working with state-of-the-art instrumentation. We are poised to continue to our corporate growth in the service of national security and criminal justice.
The Research Biologist serves as a SME in a biological science field(s) such as, but not limited to, human DNA analysis, molecular biology, molecular genetics, population genetics, and statistics and functions as a lead scientist carrying out systematic and comprehensive studies that result in new or improved analytical procedures and/or interpretation methods for the evaluation of forensic biological evidence for use by federal, state and local forensic laboratories.
This position is contingent upon Signature Science winning a position on the FBI Laboratory Support Services contract. Contract award is anticipated in September 2020.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following services:
- Perform work analyzing body fluids and / or other human tissues using DNA analysis or other biological / chemical methods.
- Comprehensively test the new method(s) to ensure their reliability and analytical limits under operational conditions.
- Demonstrate accomplishments through the implementation of new methods and significant contributions to the field of forensic science through publications, presentations in professional forums, and participation on technical working groups.
- Collaborate with scientists in the LD's operational units to ensure that research is consistent with the technical needs, goals, and operational limitations of these units.
- Keep the appropriate case-working unit personnel informed of research study progress.
- Organize and manage the activities of supporting personnel who contribute to the progress of research and training activities. Supporting personnel would include: Biologist (DNA Technical Specialists), visiting scientists, interns, and technicians.
- Participate in the technology transfer and implementation to the LD's operational units.
- Conduct testing and evaluation of new and existing DNA / biological testing procedures and protocols.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners in the development and testing of new and novel forensic biology techniques.
- Prepare detailed documentation.
- Ensure each analyses is performed correctly by conducting peer reviews on findings.
- Perform peer review of scientific experiments, reports, papers, and justifications.
- Conduct market research for procurement support.
- Support activities, functions, or duties, as defined in future TOs.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- A creative aptitude for applying classical and state-of-the-art scientific methods or techniques, sometimes in non-obvious ways, to the resolution of problems that are of a high priority for, or critical to, the examination of biological evidence. Must possess a high level of research ability and be able to interpret research findings in terms of their potential impact upon current examination procedures. Skill in effecting the integration of new methodologies into current examination and interpretation protocols, and in communicating these advances to the forensic community at large.
- Basic computer skills, to include use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, and Outlook); organization skills; flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities; demonstrated ability to study and pass training, examination, and testing assessments; verbal and written communication skills.
Education: B.S. degree in Biology, Chemistry, or related field of Biological Science and have successfully completed course work (graduate or undergraduate) in the following subject areas: the equivalent of nine (9) semester hours covering the fields of biochemistry, genetics, and molecular biology as well as course work and/or training in statistics and / or population genetics as it applies to forensic DNA analysis.
Experience: Three (3) year recent experience in a DNA research environment and a working knowledge of molecular biology techniques, but not limited to, polymerase chain reaction (PCR), capillary electrophoresis (CE), Sanger Sequencing, and massively parallel sequencing (MPS).
Certificates and Licenses:
Candidates should be eligible for or possess a TS clearance.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
Biologist Researchers will work at the client site in Quantico, VA.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings