Biologist (Technical/Examiner/Research) - Contingent
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Huntsville, AL, USA
- Full Time
About Signature Science:
For nearly two decades, Signature Science, LLC has brought together bright scientists and engineers to apply their expertise to programs that help keep our nation safe. Our scientists and technicians perform analyses and conduct research and development activities in our laboratories or at our clients' site laboratories, advancing science while working with state-of-the-art instrumentation. We are poised to continue to our corporate growth in the service of national security and criminal justice.
The Biologist spends most of their time in the laboratory cataloging and analyzing DNA evidence. Since the findings from the analysis can be used in court to prove the innocence or guilt of suspects, analysts must follow strict protocols regarding the custody of evidence, testing procedures, and reporting guidelines. Every step of the procedure must be notated and reported, which includes when the sample was received, the quality of the sample, the tests performed, and the test results. Analysts are often called to appear in court as expert witnesses to verify the findings of a particular DNA analysis.
This position is contingent upon Signature Science winning a position on the FBI Laboratory Support Services contract. Contract award is anticipated in September 2020.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Biologist Technician processes a wide range of complex forensic material associated with IEDs and IED related material for DNA collections. The Biologist Technician shall use basic and advanced physical and chemical processes and forensic light sources for the detection of the evidence for DNA. Responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following services:
- Perform work analyzing body fluids and / or other human tissues using DNA analysis.
- Provides assistance to forensic examiners in handling and analysis of physical evidence.
- Prepare solutions, buffers, and reagents used in body fluid and human tissue identification techniques.
- Maintains a manual of quality control procedures.
- Prepare detailed documentation.
- Ensure each analysis is performed correctly by conducting peer reviews on findings.
- Maintain each piece of lab equipment, check for damages, and request replacement equipment, as needed.
- Perform routine maintenance and quality control checks, as needed.
- Include retesting samples and double-checking the finding reports, as needed.
- Support activities, functions, or duties, as defined in future TOs.
- Perform all of the services and responsibilities of a biologist.
- Perform the collection of DNA samples from IED and IED-related material for additional DNA processing using proper techniques to preserve the DNA and prevent contamination.
- Complete and pass DNA training requirements within the time period set forth by the SBAU for DNA sample collection.
- Research, develop, and author whitepapers and information papers, as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Basic computer skills, to include use of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook); organization skills; flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities; demonstrated ability to study and pass training, examination, and testing assessments; verbal and written communication skills.
B.A. or B.S. in Biological Sciences (i.e., Biology, Chemistry, Physiology, or Genetics) from an accredited university or college with at least twenty-four (24) credit hours in the Physical Sciences. Minimum one (1) year of experience is as a field of laboratory research biologist.
Certificates and Licenses:
Candidates should be eligible for or possess a TS clearance.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
Biologists will work at the client site in Huntsville, AL.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.