- - TX-Austin
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
The Molecular Biologist will provide support to develop novel solutions for current and future projects involving operation and analysis of molecular assays with a specific focus on next generation sequencing (NGS). The introduction of NGS and other rapid characterization technologies have led to an exponential increase of data acquisition and to concomitant bottlenecks regarding data storage, computational needs, and novel systematic and random error issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead and manage the tissue culture facility. Maintain cell lines, manage schedules and facilities, and expand the overall capability toward the execution of future research programs.
- Produce viral vectors and leverage state-of-the-art synthetic biological tools to achieve project goals.
- Perform advanced molecular cloning, producing diverse molecular libraries that can be utilized for directed evolution or rapid screening assays.
- Perform tasks on various research and development activities to include human forensics, microbial forensics, and chemical forensics.
- Work as an integrated member of a multidisciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, and engineers.
- Act as a subject matter expert in the fields of tissue culture, virology, and synthetic biology.
- Support projects through employing efficient and accurate data evaluation techniques, placing levels of statistical confidence on data output, and clearly reporting results.
- Interact with clients and present technical data through presentations and report writing.
- Help grow the company through the successful and timely execution of projects, positive interactions with clients, recognition of opportunities for follow-on work with existing clients, establishment of new opportunities with alternate clients, proposal development and writing support, internal research and development, and maintaining a presence at marketing and business development meetings/conferences.
- Be motivated to contribute in a team environment, collaborate across multiple scientific and technical disciplines, and be excited to develop new skills.
- Have the flexibility to balance multiple on-going tasks while operating efficiently with minimal supervision
- Travel to project and business development meetings as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have extensive experience performing mammalian tissue culture to include maintenance of cell lines, DNA or RNA transfection, and detection of common reporter gene methods (e.g., fluorescent proteins, antibiotic resistance).
- Must have demonstrated experience performing molecular cloning using modern techniques. Experience producing libraries of DNA variants, such as those used in directed evolution experiments, is preferred.
- Must have extensive experience performing molecular biological techniques to include nucleic acid extraction, PCR, next generation sequencing (NGS) library preparation, NGS data analysis, and protein purification and analysis (e.g., electrophoresis, ELISA, LC-MS).
- Must have demonstrated experience with DNA sequence analysis including primer design and confirmation of DNA constructs. Experience analyzing NGS data using command line tools is preferred.
- Experience working with or producing viral vectors is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of basic virology concepts is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience documenting and communicating scientific results in the form of scientific reports, publications, or presentations is required.
- At least working knowledge of or experience in R, Python, and/or MATLAB or other relevant statistical analysis tools is required.
- A demonstrated capability to meet technically ambitious timelines and goals is required. The capacity to rapidly, creatively troubleshoot and adapt as results are generated is essential.
- Candidates must be willing to submit and be eligible for a DoD secret clearance (i.e., must be subject to and pass a background investigation and must be a U.S. citizen).
- Must be able to do extended deskwork at a computer
- Must be able to stand for several hours at a time to perform lab work
- Must be able to wear standard PPE (e.g., mask, gloves, lab coat) for extended periods of time
Degree in Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, or related field
Ph.D. – None required; M.S. – at least five years of experience in a related field
Certificates and Licenses:
This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to complete a successful background screening for a security clearance.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
Will split time working in the laboratory and at a computer. Must be able to stand for extended periods while doing lab work, sit for extended periods and work at a computer, and carry light loads
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.