- - NJ- Egg Harbor Township
- Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA
- Full Time
Position Purpose: The primary purpose of this position is to serve as the lead synthetic chemist at the Transportation Security Laboratory (TSL).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follows currently established standard operating procedures (SOPs) to synthesize homemade explosives (HMEs).
- Performs research to develop syntheses for new HMEs of interest.
- Performs quality control of HMEs synthesized at the TSL.
- Works directly with federal client to achieve the goals of the HME laboratory at the TSL.
- Performs wet chemistry (dilutions, extractions, etc.).
- Composes and reviews technical reports and SOPs.
- Composes, reviews, and executes test plans.
- Performs literature reviews.
- Safely handles explosive and other hazardous materials.
- Sources materials and submits purchase requests.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSA's):
- Required KSA's
- Previous experience synthesizing and handling energetic material.
- Good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Good listening skills.
- Team player with a positive attitude.
- Good working skills of software and tools necessary for job functions including Microsoft Office suite.
- Preferred KSA's
- Experience with measuring density and refractive index
- Experience with IR, RAMAN, or NMR
- Experience with using EasyMax for chemical syntheses
Education/Experience: Incumbent professional should have at least a bachelor's degree in chemistry with five to ten years of experience synthesizing energetic materials.
Certificates and Licenses: No specific certificates or licenses are required for this position.
Clearance: The ability to obtain a Secret clearance and Department of Homeland Security suitability is required for this position.
Supervisory Responsibilities: The incumbent professional may oversee junior level chemists performing synthetic chemistry tasks.
Working Conditions/ Equipment: The incumbent professional is expected to work and/or be available during regular business hours. He/she should also generally be available via e-mail or phone during non-business hours as needed to address critical issues or emergencies. He/she may be required to travel on behalf of the company up to 25%.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.