Forensic Evidence QA/QC Technician
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
Seeking a highly motivated Evidence/QA/QC technician eager to join our dynamic and fast-paced environment serving the forensic science community. The individual will functionally report to the DNA Leads, and will receive, maintain, and return evidence, and perform required QA/QC duties for the forensic practice as required. Outside of evidence handling and QA/QC duties, other routine and non-routine tasks will be performed as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for ensuring that evidence received at the DNA laboratory is retrieved, properly accessioned, and stored per SOPs and the direction of the lead analysts in a timely manner.
- Ensure sample documentation is complete and accurate upon receipt.
- Initiate sample documentation and enter sample information into appropriate sample tracking /LIMS software.
- Coordinate with the DNA Leads on new cases so that they can be properly prioritized.
- Organize evidence and extracts as directed by the DNA Leads and ensure that they are stored appropriately.
- Ensure that samples and extracts are packaged and shipped properly according to SOPs.
- Perform quality control of reagents according to SOPs and complete appropriate documentation.
- Perform calibration/maintenance of laboratory equipment according to manufacturing recommendations to include adherence to maintenance schedules, documentation and scheduling repair of instrumentation.
- Complete daily and weekly checks on laboratory specific items to include a walk-in freezer.
- Locate and retrieve samples from archival storage.
- Assist laboratory leads, as needed, in the development of standard operating procedures, practices, and methods.
- Conduct weekly decontamination of the forensic DNA laboratories to help minimize DNA contamination.
- Perform inventory and restock and decontaminate labware and consumables per protocol.
- Perform work wearing appropriate PPE for the activity being performed and maintain awareness of contamination control.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Works and communicates effectively as a team member.
- Incumbent must possess sound reasoning skills and regularly show ability to follow comprehensive standard instructions, with great attention to detail and guidance from company policy manuals and forensic SOPs.
- Incumbent must possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel.
Education and Experience:
Incumbent must have at a minimum a BA/BS degree in biology, chemistry or forensic science and must have successfully completed college course work (graduate or undergraduate level) covering the subject areas of biochemistry, genetics and molecular biology or other subjects which provide a basic understanding of the foundation of forensic DNA analysis.
This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to complete a successful background screening for a security clearance.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
- The incumbent will work in a general office environment with general office equipment available.
- The incumbent will have potential contact with hazardous materials, including biological fluids and dry ice.
- The incumbent will be required to work a set schedule negotiated with the supervisor.
- The incumbent must be able to lift up to 20 pounds without assistance and 40 pounds with assistance to complete shipping activities.