Facilities, Safety, & Receiving Specialist
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
The incumbent professional will plan, execute, and oversee a range of activities necessary for the effective, efficient, safe, and healthful maintenance and operations of Charlottesville-based Company facilities. The incumbent will also execute a range of corporate health and safety staff duties under the matrixed authority of the Corporate Health & Safety Manager. The incumbent will also coordinate receiving activities and provide support to shipping activities in accordance with established Company policies and procedures. Performance of all job duties is intended to be completed under limited direct supervision of the supervisor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receives and stores inbound shipments in accordance with established company policies and, in the case of hazardous or dangerous goods, applicable government regulations.
- Supervises release of received materials to employees through collection of packing slips/receiving reports and maintenance of the company's receiving database.
- Generates, distributes, and tracks receiving documentation as required.
- Supports dispatch of outbound shipments, including shipment of hazardous materials/dangerous goods in accordance with appropriate government regulations and under the supervision of a certified dangerous goods shipper.
- Maintains cognizance of the state of Company facilities at the Charlottesville campus. Ensures that the facilities, systems, and grounds are clean, in good working order, supportive of Company operations, free of hazards or risk to employee or visitor safety, and representative of a quality brand.
- Establishes, monitors, and manages CHO facilities maintenance or modernization needs. Assesses requirements and implement corrective or modernization activities to meet needs in timely and effective manner.
- Establishes a working relationship with landlord and building management staff and ensures that maintenance and support are timely, appropriate, and consistent with the terms of the Company's lease.
- Collaborates with Company managers on matters of space planning, construction and modernization, leases, expansion, health and safety, space or personnel moves, and facilities costs and budgets.
- Coordinates and collaborates with Company staff to guarantee that facilities are properly prepared, staged, or configured to support the full range of standing and episodic requirements (i.e. meetings, training, demonstrations) and that facilities are returned to a predetermined ready state when not in use.
- Provides extensive staff support to the Corporate Health & Safety Manager to include, but not limited to:
- Supports the maintenance of SigSci compliance systems (e.g. OSHA, DOT HAZMAT, hazardous waste).
- Coordinates and supports equipment certifications with the appropriate vendors;
- Coordinates and supports corporate and H&S training modules;
- Creates purchase requisitions and manages purchase orders;
- Provides support to the local H&S manager with new employee H&S orientations;
- Updates H&S corporate governance documents as necessary;
- Manages the CHO-based hazardous response team;
- Updates/creates emergency egress maps/routes;
- Coordinates and supports external compliance inspections;
- Maintains and manages SigSci H&S compliance-related permits;
- Supports the maintenance and management of the CHO chemical inventory and chemical inventory system;
- Supports the tracking and management of project health and safety planning and documenting of same;
- Supports the execution, management, and documentation of SigSci medical monitoring;
- Updates and maintains Velocity EHS employee information and incident management information;
- Performs and documents SigSci H&S inspections as needed.
- Administers property control program activities to ensure continual accountability of government, associate subcontractor, or company property in accordance with applicable government regulations and company policy.
- Maintains property accountability records, determines condition of property, and arranges disposal of surplus or obsolete material or equipment in consultation with the Company's Property Administrator.
- Assists in the preparation of periodic and special purpose reports related to property inventory status.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Incumbent must be able to read, write, and communicate fluently in English. Incumbent must be able to write clearly and factually, and orally present positions or findings in formal and informal settings to a wide cross section of staff.
- Incumbent must be able to read and comprehend government regulations, basic facility leases, architectural drawings, and financial exhibits, and possess the capacity to author memorandums, correspondence, or governance documents for both internal and external consumption.
- Incumbent must effectively communicate with a wide cross section of internal and external persons on a wide range of matters and varying degrees of importance or urgency.
- Incumbent must possess the ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, and percentages, square footage and have a mastery of basic arithmetic.
- Incumbent must possess sound reasoning skills and regularly show ability to follow general instructions from the supervisor or senior-level staff, with great attention to detail. Incumbent must possess analytical skills necessary to research government regulations, interpret them and develop a sound implementation plan.
- Incumbent must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products, specifically Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Word.
Incumbent must have a bachelor degree in business or a related field and five years of prior related professional experience. Ten years of directly-relevant experience in facilities management, logistics, and/or occupational health and safety satisfies the education requirement.
Certificates and Licenses:
Incumbent must be able to successfully complete a background screening to maintain a SECRET-level clearance.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
- Incumbent will work in a general office environment with general office equipment. On less frequent occasions, Incumbent may work in laboratories, storage, or other specialized facilities on and off the Charlottesville campus. Incumbent will be required to sit at a desk or stand for extended periods (up to eight hours per day).
- Incumbent will be required to work a set schedule negotiated with the supervisor.
- Incumbent must be able to ascend a ladder to facilitate building inspections, and be able to lift up to 20 pounds without assistance and 50 pounds with assistance.
- Incumbent may be required to wear and function in personal protective equipment.
- Incumbent may be required to endure higher or lower than average temperatures for limited periods.
- Incumbent will have potential contact with hazardous materials.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.