- - TX-Austin
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
- Must have extensive experience performing molecular biological techniques to include nucleic acid extraction, PCR, next generation sequencing (NGS) library preparation, NGS data analysis, and protein purification and analysis (e.g., electrophoresis, ELISA, LC-MS)
- Must have experience with traditional and modern cloning techniques. Must be able to clone PCR products isolated via gel electrophoresis.
- Experience designing gene blocks or incorporating other synthetic biological techniques provided by commercial companies is preferred.
- Strong candidates will have significant experience designing PCR primers, especially for the production of multiplex primer assays.
- Experience relating to human DNA forensics is a plus.
- Experience with long read sequencing platforms (Pac Bio, ONT) is a plus.
- May have experience operating typical NGS data analysis tools, including read trimming/QC, alignment, variant analysis, etc.
- At least basic knowledge of or experience in R, Python, and/or MATLAB
- Candidates must be willing to submit and be eligible for a DoD secret clearance (i.e., must be subject to and pass a background investigation and must be a U.S. citizen).
- Must be able to do extended deskwork at a computer
- Must be able to stand for several hours at a time to perform lab work
- Must be able to wear standard PPE (e.g., mask, gloves, lab coat) for extended periods of time
- Perform tasks on various research and development activities to include human forensics, microbial forensics, and chemical forensics.
- Operate NGS platforms for internal and external research programs. This includes analysis of human DNA, other eukaryotic genomes, microbial/viral genomes, as well as metagenomic samples.
- Apply expertise to a variety of research and development programs which do not directly involve NGS analysis.
- Support projects through employing efficient and accurate data evaluation techniques, placing levels of statistical confidence on data output, and clearly reporting results.
- Interact with clients (on and off-site) and present technical data through presentations and report writing.
- Help grow the chemical and biological sciences business areas through the successful and timely execution of projects, positive interactions with clients, recognition of opportunities for follow-on work with existing clients, establishment of new opportunities with alternate clients, proposal development and writing support, internal research and development, and maintaining a presence at marketing and business development meetings/conferences.
- Be motivated to contribute in a team environment, collaborate across multiple scientific and technical disciplines, and be excited to develop new skills.
- Have the flexibility to balance multiple on-going tasks while operating efficiently with minimal supervision
- Travel to project and business development meetings as needed.
This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to complete a successful background screening for a security clearance.
U.S. Citizenship required
Must be willing and able to work in a laboratory and at a desk. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The incumbent will work in a laboratory environment that may require wearing PPE and standing for extended periods of time. Will also be required to enter data and write reports by typing on a computer.
• The incumbent will have potential contact with hazardous materials, including biological fluids.
• The incumbent will be required to work a set schedule negotiated with the supervisor.