Front End Developer
- - VA-Charlottesville
- VA, USA
- Full Time
Position Purpose: Signature Science Charlottesville Operations has an opening for a Frontend Software Developer. This person will contribute to the design, development, and implementation of a web based application which searches and maintains our client's DNA profile repository. The successful candidate is an innovative UI designer/developer who has delivered products serving other projects or analytical tools and enjoys working side by side on diverse teams of other engineers and scientists.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Takes direction from the project lead on the execution of software systems engineering requirements definition and software architecture.
- Assesses alternatives and develops user-facing features, adhering to best practices in UI presentations.
- Incorporates validation and error handling into interface features prior to backend submission.
- Contributes to the development of software documentation deliverables to clients.
- Actively participates on projects by making recommendations on how to improve product quality.
- Participates in requirements collection and documentation activities prior to and during execution.
- Works directly with clients and senior level management to develop/resolve requirements, offer improvements, optimizations, or other project supporting efforts.
- Assesses impact of changes to applications systems and makes recommendations.
- Participates in the development of integration plans.
- Implements and adheres to coding standards and naming conventions.
- Develops and executes under an Agile software development process.
- Develops standard operating procedures and documents key artifacts.
- Develops well-designed and documented software within schedule.
- Keeps current with the latest software development tools and techniques.
- Improves and maintains the existing software performance.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Proficiency with at least one modern JS based library/framework such as ReactJS, VueJS or Angular.
- Experience with both REST and service based APIs such as SOAP.
- Comfortable developing on both Linux and Windows operating systems.
- Experience developing unit tests and system test plans.
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and nontechnical users.
Additional Desired Skills & Abilities:
- Experience with the MERN programming stack.
- Experience coding against both relational and NoSQL databases.
- JQuery, Typescript, JSX, Knockout or other browser based development library experience.
- Experience working with Atlassian products; i.e. Jira, Confluence, Bit Bucket.
- Bachelor's or Associate degree in computer science (work experience will be considered in lieu of degree.)
- At least 3 years of UI development and coding experience.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Security Plus or Agile certification highly desired, but not required
- Ability to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance (TS/SCI w/ CI Poly highly desired.)
- Minimum clearance level is DoD Interim Secret
- No supervisory responsibilities required for this position.
- Software engineer will report to the project technical lead for direction on tasks.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
- Office environment only.
- Anticipated work schedule is M-F 0800-1700.
- Work location will be at SigSci facilities with potential work on-site at a government location.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.