Intern- Forensic DNA
- - TX-Austin
- Austin, TX, USA
This is a seasonal internship position (up to 25-30 hours a week) for the Summer months (~May – August). The individual will functionally report to the Director and may assist with performing molecular and/or microbiology testing of samples. Outside of lab work, other routine and non-routine duties will be performed as needed by the forensic DNA practice or biology research and development group up to and including assisting with evidence receipt and/or returns and laboratory decontamination activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adheres to proper handling and safeguarding of samples and data.
- Follows established standard operating procedures, complies with laboratory policies, and reports nonconformance to supervisor.
- Conducts weekly decontamination of the forensic DNA laboratories to help minimize DNA contamination.
- Washes racks and other lab ware daily per protocol.
- Assists with evidence receipt or return activities as needed for forensic casework.
- Performs work wearing appropriate PPE for the activity being performed and maintain awareness of contamination control.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSAs):
- Completion of coursework covering the subject areas of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, preferred
- Basic understanding of laboratory techniques including mechanical pipetting and sample handling
- Able to communicate effectively
- Able to read, write, and communicate fluently in English
- Able to read and comprehend short correspondence and memos and write short correspondence for both internal and external consumption
- Possess sound reasoning skills and regularly show ability to follow detailed standard instructions, with great attention to detail and guidance from company policy manuals and SOPs.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access.
Education/Experience: Current enrollment in a Forensic accredited continuing education program or a molecular biology program (Bachelor or Master); two years of completed college preferred, must have completed at least two courses requiring laboratory work.
Certificates and Licenses: None.
Citizenship: United States.
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
- The incumbent will work in a general office environment with general office equipment available as well as a forensic DNA and/or molecular biology laboratory.
- The incumbent will have potential contact with hazardous materials, including biological fluids, decontamination solutions (e.g., household bleach) and dry ice.
- The incumbent will be required to work a set schedule negotiated with the supervisor.
- The incumbent must be able to lift up to 20 pounds without assistance and 40 pounds with assistance to complete shipping activities.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings