Shipping and Receiving Assistant
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
The incumbent employee will coordinate receiving activities and provide support to shipping activities in accordance with established company policies and procedures and under direct supervision of the supervisor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receives and stores inbound shipments in accordance with established company policies and, in the case of hazardous or dangerous goods, applicable government regulations.
- Supervises release of received materials to employees through collection of packing slips/receiving reports and maintenance of the company's receiving database.
- Generates, distributes, and tracks receiving documentation as required.
- Supports dispatch of outbound shipments, including shipment of hazardous materials/dangerous goods in accordance with appropriate government regulations and under the supervision of a certified dangerous goods shipper.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Incumbent must be able to read, write, and communicate fluently in English. Incumbent must be able to read and understand documents such as procedure manuals, write effective correspondence for internal consumption, and speak effectively with employees or vendors.
- Incumbent must possess the ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, and percentages, and apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Incumbent must possess sound reasoning skills and regularly show ability to follow detailed standard instructions, with great attention to detail and guidance from company policy manuals and regulatory documents.
- Incumbent must possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access.
Incumbent must have a high school diploma or equivalent and one year of prior related professional experience.
Certificates and Licenses:
Incumbent must possess and maintain a current, valid driver license.
This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to complete a successful background screening for a security clearance. Candidates with an active security clearance will receive preference.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
- Incumbent will work in a general office environment with general office equipment available. Incumbent will be required to stand for extended periods, sit for extended periods at a desk, and walk between company facilities.
- Incumbent will be required to work a set schedule negotiated with the supervisor.
- Incumbent must be able to lift up to 40 pounds without assistance and 60 pounds with assistance to complete job-related activities.
- Incumbent will have potential contact with hazardous materials.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.