- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
Position Purpose: Signature Science Charlottesville Operations has an opening for a Software Engineer. This person will contribute to the design, development, and implementation of a myriad of databases, analytical tools, and state-of-the-art hardware for a classified government client. The successful candidate is a strong communicator, innovative software developer/engineer, proven contributor on other database design and software tool development projects, and enjoys working side by side on diverse teams of other engineers and scientists.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Takes direction from Task Lead on the execution of software systems engineering requirements definition and software architecture.
- Contributes to technical trade studies associated with design, development, and integration of hardware, software, and analytics.
- Contributes in the creation of software system application, analytics, and system test cases and test plans.
- Contributes to the development of software architectural products in multiple coding languages and deliverables for the government clients.
- Actively participate in teams working on projects by making recommendations on how to improve product quality as well as group productivity.
- Participate in requirements collection and documentation activities prior to and during execution.
- Work directly with clients and senior level management to develop resolve requirements, technical direction system development, improvements, optimization, or project support efforts.
- Contribute to the development of technical design specifications.
- Assist in the modification of company products, customer, and/or internal systems to meet the needs of the client and/or end-user.
- Implement and contribute to new software design or enhancements to existing software.
- Assess impact of changes to applications and systems and makes recommendations.
- Contribute to the development of integration plans.
- Implement and adhere to coding standards and naming conventions.
- Develop and execute Agile software development Standard Operating Procedures and improve software and process documentation.
- Develop well-designed and documented software within schedule.
- Keep current with latest software development tools and techniques.
- Improve and maintain the existing software performance.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience with the .Net or MERN programming stacks (both preferred)
- Ability to code in at least one object oriented language such as C++, C#, Java or PHP
- Experience programming SQL and No-SQL databases (SQL Server, PostgreSQL and Mongo preferred)
- Comfortable developing on both Linux and Windows operating systems
- Experience with producing System Architecture diagrams and supporting documentation
- Experience working with and/or administering Atlassian products (i.e. Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket)
- Experience in system test plan creation and execution efforts
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and nontechnical users
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or similar area of study
- 5+ years' experience in an active database development and/or coding environment
Certificates and Licenses:
- Security Plus or Agile certification highly desired, but not required
- DoD TS/SCI w/ CI Poly are highly desired
- Minimum clearance level is DoD Interim Secret
- No supervisory responsibilities required for this position.
- Software engineer will report to local Manager for general needs and to local Task Lead for technical direction on projects.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
- Office environment only.
- Anticipated work schedule is M-F 0800-1700.
- Work location will be SigSci facilities with potential work on-site at government location.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.