- - NJ- Egg Harbor Township
- Egg Harbor, NJ, USA
- Full Time
Position Purpose: The primary purpose of this position is to support the simulant development laboratory at the Transportation Security Laboratory (TSL).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a clean laboratory environment and perform routine equipment calibration and maintenance.
- Prepare and analyze samples following established standard operating procedures.
- Measure and characterize the properties of energetic and inert materials on Explosive Detection Systems (EDSs) and evaluate the corresponding X-ray attenuation response.
- Provide immediate explosive characterization and simulant development support during rapid response activities.
- Develop draft program documents (plans, procedures, technical and data reports, and presentations) to support R&D related activities.
- Maintain libraries and databases on chemical inventory, explosives characterization information, and simulant formulations.
- Develop formulations that match the properties of a target explosive to include X-ray attenuation (density and Z-effective), color, morphology, granularity, texture, and/or smell.
- Develop simulant and surrogate test articles that accurately mimic explosives configurations.
- Safely handle explosive and other hazardous materials.
- Source materials and submit purchase requests.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSA's):
- Required KSA's
- Laboratory experience with a focus on material characterization
- Understanding of various material behaviors
- Working skillset of software and tools necessary for job functions including Microsoft Office suite, C, Python, MATLAB, and ImageJ
- Understanding of optimization processes
- Ability to work to a schedule driven operation
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Good software development skills
- Preferred KSA's
- Previous experience handling energetic material
- Previous experience using EDSs
Education/Experience: Incumbent professional should have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in materials scienceor in chemistry with a focus in inorganic or polymer science.
Certificates and Licenses: No specific certificates or licenses are required for this position.
Clearance: A Department of Homeland Security Suitability and Secret Clearance are required for this position.
Supervisory Responsibilities: The incumbent professional has little to no supervisory responsibilities.
Working Conditions/ Equipment: The incumbent professional is expected to work and/or be available during regular business hours. He/she should also generally be available via e-mail or phone during non-business hours as needed to address critical issues or emergencies. He/she may be required to travel on behalf of the company up to 25%.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings