- - NJ- Egg Harbor Township
- Egg Harbor, NJ, USA
- Full Time
Position Purpose: The primary purpose of this position is to support the simulant development laboratory at the Transportation Security Laboratory (TSL).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a clean laboratory environment and perform routine equipment calibration and maintenance.
- Prepare and analyze samples following established standard operating procedures.
- Measure and characterize the properties of energetic and inert materials on Explosive Detection Systems (EDSs) and evaluate the corresponding X-ray attenuation response.
- Provide immediate explosive characterization and simulant development support during rapid response activities.
- Develop draft program documents (plans, procedures, technical and data reports, and presentations) to support R&D related activities.
- Maintain libraries and databases on chemical inventory, explosives characterization information, and simulant formulations.
- Develop formulations that match the properties of a target explosive to include X-ray attenuation (density and Z-effective), color, morphology, granularity, texture, and/or smell.
- Develop simulant and surrogate test articles that accurately mimic explosives configurations.
- Safely handle explosive and other hazardous materials.
- Source materials and submit purchase requests.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSA's):
- Required KSA's
- Laboratory experience with a focus on material characterization
- Understanding of various material behaviors
- Working skillset of software and tools necessary for job functions including Microsoft Office suite, C, Python, MATLAB, and ImageJ
- Understanding of optimization processes
- Ability to work to a schedule driven operation
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Good software development skills
- Preferred KSA's
- Previous experience handling energetic material
- Previous experience using EDSs
Education/Experience: Incumbent professional should have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in materials scienceor in chemistry with a focus in inorganic or polymer science.
Certificates and Licenses: No specific certificates or licenses are required for this position.
Clearance: A Department of Homeland Security Suitability and Secret Clearance are required for this position.
Supervisory Responsibilities: The incumbent professional has little to no supervisory responsibilities.
Working Conditions/ Equipment: The incumbent professional is expected to work and/or be available during regular business hours. He/she should also generally be available via e-mail or phone during non-business hours as needed to address critical issues or emergencies. He/she may be required to travel on behalf of the company up to 25%.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.