- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
Serve as the Company's Enterprise IT Architect, responsible for the design and lifecycle deployment of a scalable Enterprise IT ecosystem (scientific computing infrastructure, applications, data management models, cybersecurity, and performance) to promote the effectiveness and efficiency of Company operations and R&D. Serves as the senior subject matter expert responsible for the continual design, planning, acquisition and delivery of modern, secure scientific computing and corporate information technology to meet business, research, scientific, and client mission requirements.
Organize, oversee and lead an IT requirements validation [collection-definition-stabilization] activity that bridges knowledge gaps between Company R&D scientists and IT engineering and services staff. Devise systems architectures that most effectively and efficiently address scientific computing needs, operations support, cybersecurity, and research needs. Collaborate with R&D scientists, technical users, IT systems acquisition staff, and IT operations personnel to effectively acquire and implement the aforementioned architecture(s).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, document and maintain an overarching Enterprise Information Technology Architecture (EITA) based on scientific computing requirements gathered from working directly with developers, scientists, and R&D staff. Catalog, develop, coordinate, communicate, maintain, and enforce overall enterprise architecture models, representations, initiatives, capabilities, and components to adequately perform the enterprise's business and technology activities.
- Work directly with scientists and IT engineering teams to establish and direct an enduring requirements validation process that efficiently and effectively facilitates planning, acquisition and implementation of information technology capabilities to include hardware (on-prem and cloud), software, networking, and user support.
- Robustly interact with users across the spectrum of Company activities to ensure that requirements are properly adjudicated and that users are educated sufficiently on the capacity and direction of the EITA. Provide direct training, documentation, code samples and reference architectures where applicable.
- Serve as the Senior Advisor to Company Executives, Business Area Directors, S&T Advisors, IT Acquisition, Operations, and Cybersecurity staff on the design, acquisition, and implementation of the EITA.
- Responsible for guiding, developing and promulgating Company-wide data management policies. Advises and assists project level data management implementation and adherence to Company standards.
- Lead corporate information technology planning to anticipate and align emerging Company needs/workflows with sound investment-acquisition in a modern and scalable ecosystem. This function will be highly collaborative in conjunction with Company Officers, Corporate Services (IT Ops, Acquisition and Cybersecurity) and Business Area Directors.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Direct experience designing and delivering enterprise-level computing infrastructures to, or in, a scientific or technical research or consulting organization.
- Enterprise-level IT planning experience.
- Demonstrated experience working with researchers and developers to assess needs and deliver solutions that address the scientific computing demands of a diverse research and development portfolio.
- Demonstrated experience working with scientists, IT engineers, and cybersecurity personnel to meet scientific needs balancing on-premises and cloud-based hardware, managing user support through the entire research lifecycle.
- In-depth knowledge of on-premises and cloud hardware acquisition management.
- Experience with enterprise-level requirements validation (collection-definition-stabilization).
- Capacity to harmonize user requirements with IT acquisition, operations and cybersecurity capacities.
- BS with extensive modern IT ecosystem design and development experience. Must be knowledgeable of enterprise-level computing in a distributed, research environment. Experience working directly with scientists in a research & development environment to translate scientific computing needs into IT requirements, and working with IT engineering staff to execute, deliver, and support solutions as required. Must possess sophisticated understand of enterprise systems, cloud computing and hybrid infrastructure constructs. Experience with multi-domain data or information security requirements (government or commercial). Familiarity with Microsoft Azure cloud configuration(s) and capacities is a plus. Familiarity or experience with Microsoft SHAREPOINT a plus.
Certificates and Licenses:
Active DoD or Capacity to Acquire (Required)
DHS / DOJ Clearance-Suitability or Capacity to Acquire (Required)
Incumbent will lead initiatives, teams and other corporate fora.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
- Most work is sedentary in a traditional office setting.
- Regular visits to laboratory or scientific research facilities for brief work periods should be expected.
- Will require regular and recurring travel between Company locations in Austin, TX, Charlottesville, VA, Arlington, VA, and Atlantic City, NJ.
- No required lifting.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.