- - TX-Austin
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
The successful candidate will be based in our Austin, TX facility and support numerous research and development, and test and evaluation projects related to defense, forensics, and national security. The candidate must be motivated to contribute in a team environment, collaborate across multiple scientific and technical disciplines, and be excited to develop new skills. The candidate must have the flexibility to balance multiple on-going tasks while operating efficiently with minimal supervision. As needed, the candidate should be able to direct others to accomplish project tasks. The candidate must be detail oriented and be able to appropriately document their work. Job functions will include identifying and preparing materials suitable for niche applications where unique optical, electrical, chemical and mechanical properties are required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Apply technical skills to plan and execute assigned project work including materials synthesis, formulation, materials characterization and prototype development
• Support meetings with company clients by preparing meeting materials and attending client meetings as needed.
• Handle explosives, narcotics, and toxic chemicals in the form of solutions and neat materials following appropriate training.
• Dispose of chemical waste properly and in accordance with applicable laws and internal procedures.
• Appropriately document experimental results in laboratory notebooks, benchsheets, and reports.
• Support the presentation of technical results through the writing of reports and presentation materials.
• Present experimental results and recommended actions at internal project meetings.
• Support business development efforts as needed by drafting technical sections of proposals, helping to identify teaming partners, provide proposal review, and assess levels of effort required to complete proposed work.
• Conform to company health and safety measures including wearing of appropriate PPE, undertaking medical monitoring, and reporting observed H&S deficiencies.
• Advanced knowledge in properly designing and executing scientific experiments
• Ability to plan a sequence of experiments to answer complicated technical questions
• Ability to lead a group of co-workers in execution of a task
• Expertise in materials science and/or materials chemistry including areas such as alloys, intermetallics, organic and inorganic nanomaterials, composites, and/or electroactive polymers
• Sufficient business knowledge to support proposal efforts
• Working knowledge of statistics as it applies to scientific data
• Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
• Ability to thoroughly document technical experiments
• Team player with a positive attitude
Incumbent must have a master's degree in Chemistry or Materials Science and 4 years of professional experience, or a Ph.D. in Chemistry or Materials Science with 0-5 years of additional experience.
Incumbent will be required to be included as an Employee Possessor on SigSci's ATF permit.
Incumbent must be willing to seek and maintain government security clearance at the SECRET level.
Candidates with current DoD SECRET or other clearance are preferred.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The incumbent will work in a general office environment with general office equipment and in laboratories at the Austin campus.
Limited domestic travel may be required up to 25 % time. Infrequently incumbent will be needed to work after-hours/weekends.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The incumbent should be able to lift up to 25 pounds without assistance and 50 pounds with assistance to complete laboratory maintenance activities.
• Incumbent may have to wear and function in personal protective equipment, including a respirator for limited periods of time.
• Incumbent will be required to complete company paid for medical monitoring.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings