- - TX-Austin
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
The successful candidate will be based in our Austin, TX facility and support numerous research and development, and test and evaluation projects related to defense, forensics, and national security. The candidate must be motivated to contribute in a team environment, collaborate across multiple scientific and technical disciplines, and be excited to develop new skills. Example job functions may include conducting chemical analysis by mass spectrometry, conducting experiments to isolate specific proteins, chemical synthesis and characterization of new materials, or characterization of materials and samples using spectroscopic tools. The candidate must be detail oriented and be able to appropriately document their work. The candidate must have the flexibility to balance multiple on-going tasks while operating efficiently with minimal supervision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Apply technical skills to execute assigned project work including conducting chemical analysis, developing analysis methods, protein extraction and isolation, carrying out chemical synthesis, executing biochemical assays, and/or performing instrument testing and evaluation.
- Following training, recognize system performance issues on LC-MS and GC-MS instrumentation that require maintenance.
- Following training, handle biohazardous materials safely without risk to self or co-workers.
- Handle explosives, narcotics, and/or toxic chemicals in the form of solutions and neat materials safely.
- Following training, dispose of chemical waste properly and in accordance with applicable laws and internal procedures
- Appropriately document experimental results in laboratory notebooks, benchsheets, and reports.
- Support the reporting of technical results by summarizing experimental results and methods in technical reports.
- Present experimental results and recommended actions at internal project meetings.
- Conform to company health and safety measures including wearing of appropriate PPE, undertaking medical monitoring, and reporting observed H&S deficiencies.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Working knowledge in properly designing and executing scientific experiments
• Ability to think creatively to execute experiments to answer technical questions
• Experience in chemical analysis by LC-MS, protein isolation, biochemical synthesis
• Experience in conducting chemical synthesis is advantageous
• Basic knowledge of statistics as it applies to scientific data
• Proficient with MS Office
• Knowledge of Agilent MassHunter, Xcalibur, Chemstation is preferred
• Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
• Ability to thoroughly document technical experiments
Candidate must have a bachelor degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry or similar and 0-3 years of professional experience.
Candidate must have at least 6 months of research experience in an academic (e.g. undergraduate research) or industry setting.
Certificates and Licenses:
Incumbent will be required to be included as an Employee Possessor on SigSci's ATF permit.
Incumbent must be willing to seek and maintain government security clearance at the SECRET level. Applicants with current security clearance are preferred. Candidate must be U.S. citizens.
No staff supervisory responsibilities will be expected.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
Limited domestic travel may be required up to 25 % time. Infrequently incumbent will be needed to work after-hours/weekends.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The incumbent should be able to lift up to 25 pounds without assistance and 50 pounds with assistance to complete laboratory maintenance activities.
• Incumbent may have to wear and function in personal protective equipment, including a respirator for limited periods of time.
• Incumbent will be required to complete company paid for medical monitoring.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings