DNA Database Administrator
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
Seeking a highly motivated DNA Database Administrator eager to join our dynamic and fast-paced environment serving the forensic science/intelligence community. This individual will be responsible for daily operations of a DNA database, including performing searches, assessing and confirming results, performing familial comparisons, and expanding the capabilities of the primary database as well as its supplemental support tools. Prior experience of 3 years or more of full-time forensic scientist professional work with documented DNA analysis and mixture interpretation experience required. Prior experience working with a DNA database such as CODIS (or similar) is preferred.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Performs routine, day-to-day operations; oversees work; plan, prioritize, schedule and organize the daily and long range tasking requirements of the database operations center, multi-task to manage competing priorities.
•Ensure that DNA profiles entered into the database, and the resultant matches are dispositioned in accordance with standard operating procedures.
• Performs specialized searches (i.e.: relatedness), and assesses resulting statistics and results.
• Adheres to proper handling and safeguarding of DNA samples and data.
• Follows established standard operating procedures, complies with laboratory policies, and reports nonconformance to supervisor.
• Participates in validation studies of new DNA methodologies and Database enhancements, as well as established methods and procedures.
• Troubleshoots and resolves technical issues, documents corrective action, and assists in quality assurance investigations of nonconforming events.
• Develops, writes, and reviews technical documents included but not limited to SOPs, proposals, and validation summaries.
• Completes required training and participates in continuing education activities.
• Prepare forensic reports for peer review
• Performs on-call 24/7 reach back support for atleast one week per month, or as required (Note: special pay provisions apply to this specific duty.)
• Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
The qualified candidate must have a fundamental knowledge of theory and application of Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, and Statistics/Population Genetics as they relate to DNA analysis. Knowledge of forensic science principals and procedures required. Limited knowledge of accreditation standards and/or sequencing and genotyping data is preferred, but not required. This individual must be highly organized, adept, and capable of working in a fast-paced environment. U.S. Citizenship is a prerequisite for application.
• BS in biological sciences or a related field with 5+ years full time laboratory experience or MS degree with equivalent research experience and 3+ years full time laboratory experience.
• Working/intermediate knowledge of Excel and other MS office programs
• Works and communicates effectively as a team member
• Self-motivated and ambitious individual eager to learn new technologies
• Enthusiasm for genetics, DNA technology, and working in a non-laboratory, database focused environment.
TS/SCI preferred. Ability to obtain TS/SCI required.