Genomics Research Scientist
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
Seeking a highly motivated Genomics Research Scientist eager to join our dynamic and fast-paced environment serving the forensic science community. This individual will be responsible for performing molecular diagnostic analysis of samples submitted to our laboratory and research and validation on new technology. Prior experience with human genotyping and/or sequencing (e.g., microarray and MPS technologies) is required. Prior experience working in a forensic laboratory is preferred.
- Conducts laboratory tests using various automated platforms and/or manual methods (e.g., microarray, and MPS) on DNA isolated from blood, saliva, and other body fluids.
- Adheres to proper handling and safeguarding of DNA samples and data.
- Follows established standard operating procedures, complies with laboratory policies, and reports nonconformance to supervisor.
- Perform analysis and interpretation of genotyping results from diverse matrices for single source and mixture results
- Participates in validation studies of new DNA methodology as well as established methods and procedures.
- Performs established quality assurance procedures such as quality control testing, instrument function checks, preventative maintenance, and calibrations, maintains appropriate documentation, and reports irregularities.
- Troubleshoots and resolves technical issues, documents corrective action, and assists in quality assurance investigations of nonconforming events.
- Develops, writes, and reviews technical documents included but not limited to SOPs, proposals, and validation summaries.
- Completes required training and participates in continuing education activities.
- Maintain chain of custody
- Prepare forensic reports for peer review
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The qualified candidate must have a fundamental knowledge of genetics and molecular biology, prior experience with array and/or MPS technologies, as well as familiarity with other molecular technologies such as DNA extraction, quantitation, PCR, and sequencing. This individual must be highly organized, adept, and capable of working in a fast-paced environment. U.S. Citizenship is a prerequisite for application.
- BS in biological sciences or a related field with 3+ years full time laboratory experience or MS degree with equivalent research experience
- Experience with array and/or MPS technology
- Working/intermediate knowledge of Excel and other MS office programs
- Experience in scientific writing to include proposals, validations, and peer-reviewed articles
- Works and communicates effectively as a team member
- Self-motivated and ambitious individual eager to learn new technologies
- Enthusiasm for genetics, DNA technology, and working in a research environment.
This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to complete a successful background screening for a security clearance. Candidates with an active security clearance will receive preference.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings