- - TX-Austin
- TX, USA
- Full Time
The molecular biologist is responsible for designing, carrying out, and analyzing experiments relating to human forensics, microbial forensics, or synthetic biology. The molecular biologist will lead and/or support technical tasks or projects within a collaborative teaming environment. This individual will work within a team of molecular biologists, forensic scientists, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and statisticians to provide novel solutions for technical challenges facing the human forensics, microbial forensics, and synthetic biology communities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work in a highly collaborative environment to lead and carry out laboratory and data analysis tasks with a focus on human, microbial, or chemical forensic projects
• Using industry standard tools for synthetic biology, engineer and characterize microbial communities to detect toxic compounds or perform site remediation
• Develop tools for generation, management, analysis and interpretation of next generation sequencing data
• Perform molecular assays with a focus on next generation sequencing but extending to PCR, proteomics, and other high throughput genotyping or molecular analysis methods
• Provide computational support for internal bioinformatics objectives, as well as for ongoing customer-driven projects, including experiment design, genome-wide association studies, analysis of gene expression, algorithm and NGS pipeline development, end user trainings, and client interactions.
• Organizing and managing large-scale data sets
• Create standardized summary tables and figures
• Prepare SOPs, document source code/workflows, and write reports to summarize laboratory or computational analyses
• Help the company grow through the successful and timely execution of projects, positive interactions with clients, recognition of opportunities for follow-on work with existing clients, establishment of new opportunities with alternate clients, proposal development and writing support, and maintaining a presence at marketing and business development meetings/conferences.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Strong understanding of basic molecular biology laboratory techniques (e.g., PCR, gel electrophoresis, DNA purification, etc.)
• Demonstrated record formulating creative or innovative approaches to technical challenges
• Demonstrated experience authoring grants or proposals and securing research funding
• Experience with laboratory equipment and related open-source software, tools, and databases for analyzing next-generation sequencing data (e.g., human exome sequencing. RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, DNA variation, epigenetics, microbiome, and metagenomics)
• Familiarity with command line data analysis or bioinformatics tools is strongly preferred (R, python, etc.)
• Ability to travel as dictated by business need.
• MS or PhD in Biology, Bioinformatics, Genomics, or related field
• Experience (5+ years with MS/2+ years with PhD) leading and analyzing biological experiments focused on characterization and interpretation of genomic data
• Using Linux/Unix text processing tools, R, and other open-source tooling to manipulate and format data, to assess data quality, and analyze data.
• Demonstrated experience writing grants or proposals is strongly preferred.
Project management and/or Principal Investigator or Task Leader experience a plus
This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to complete a successful background screening for a security clearance. Candidates with a current security clearance will receive preference.
May serve as a task lead or Principal Investigator or Project Manager.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
• Ability to work in varying conditions to include: traditional office environments and biosafety level 2 laboratories.