Forensic DNA Analyst
- - TX-Austin
- TX, USA
- Full Time
Position Summary: The incumbent is responsible for performing all aspects associated with screening and DNA testing for forensic casework while complying with client and company requirements. Will work as part of a highly-motivated team to process high-quality casework in a timely and efficient manner. Focus is on quality, meeting client deadlines, flexibility to adapt to changing client needs, and customer service. Previous experience as a forensic DNA analyst is required (preferably three years or more).
Applicants must be a currently or previously qualified forensic DNA analyst (as defined by the FBI QAS).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work independently and/or in a team setting as needed to complete work, and respond quickly to changing priorities in casework.
- Perform lab work wearing appropriate PPE, and practice good contamination control techniques.
- Ensure that chain of custody documentation is complete and accurate.
- Perform DNA analysis on samples with diverse matrices and various levels of template DNA to include touch DNA samples.
- Extract DNA using multiple extraction procedures including differential extraction, quantify on a Real-Time PCR instrument, amplify using current, validated amplification kits, and analyze samples on current genetic analyzer platforms.
- Utilize and maintain a variety of modern scientific equipment such as Real-Time PCR, thermocyclers, and genetic analyzers.
- Make sound scientific decisions with regard to DNA scientific results obtained.
- Perform statistical analysis and interpretation of DNA results from diverse matrices and DNA template level for both single source and mixture results.
- Incorporate and expand quality assurance principles into the laboratory operation.
- Respond to inquiries orally and in writing, including those internally and from clients.
- Prepare forensic reports.
- Provide expert testimony in a court of law.
- Perform maintenance tasks as requested.
- Perform technical reviews on casework.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual must have excellent attention to detail and follow through, and must communicate effectively.
Education/Experience: Incumbent must meet the DNA analyst requirements specified in the FBI QAS regarding education and experience.
Computer Skills:Incumbent must possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office; specifically Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access; instrument software (i.e., AB7500, AB3500xL); and data analysis software associated with DNA testing (i.e., GeneMapper ID-X).
Certificates and Licenses: Must be willing and eligible to obtain required State Licenses for Forensic DNA Analysts as specified by the Texas Forensic Science Commission.
Applicants must be currently or previously qualified DNA analysts as defined by the FBI QAS
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The incumbent will work in a laboratory environment that may require wearing PPE and standing for extended periods of time. Will also be required to enter data and write reports by typing on a computer.
- The incumbent will have potential contact with hazardous materials, including biological fluids.
- The incumbent will be required to work a set schedule negotiated with the supervisor.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings