Bioinformatics / Genomics Data Scientist
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
A bioinformatics/genomics data scientist is responsible for providing experimental design consulting and data analysis for large, high-throughput genomic experiments, with a focus on forensics and metagenomics. The data scientist will be responsible for designing and implementing annotated code for managing, manipulating, and analyzing large-scale genomic data, and for preparing thorough documentation and reporting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop tools for management, analysis and interpretation of next generation sequencing data
- Organizing and managing large-scale genomic data sets
- Managing, manipulating, analyzing data with R, python, and UNIX tools
- Using established open-source software and tools to assess quality and analyze data
- Implement and execute data processing workflows and automated analytic pipelines
- Create standardized summary tables and figures
- Manage large dataset collections including analytical results and data quality
- Develop annotated computer code and conduct code reviews and programming validation
- Conduct workflow benchmarking
- Identify inconsistencies and initiate resolution of data problems
- Prepare SOPs, document source code/workflows, and write reports to summarize computational
requirements, processing status, and customized analysis results as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of working in a Unix/Linux environment
- Advanced proficiency with R/Bioconductor, RMarkdown, and the "tidyverse" tools for data analysis.
- Proficiency with Python, Perl, or another scripting language.
- Experience with open-source software, tools, and databases for analyzing next-generation sequencing data (RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, DNA variation, epigenetics, microbiome, and metagenomics).
- Familiarity with developing and querying relational databases (MySQL or similar)
- Familiarity with AWS cloud computing is desired
- Experience with NextFlow, SnakeMake, or similar workflow/pipeline management systems is desired
- Experience using Version Control software (e.g., Git or similar) to manage programming code
- Experience using workflows and sprints throughout the development process
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- MS or PhD in Bioinformatics, Genomics, Data Science, or related field
- Experience (5+ years with MS/3+ years with PhD) managing and analyzing large-scale datasets produced sequencing platforms and deliver solutions for managing, visualizing, analyzing, and interpreting genomic data
- Using Linux/Unix text processing tools, R, and other open-source tooling to manipulate and format data, to assess data quality, and analyze data.
This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to complete a successful background screening for a security clearance. Candidates with a current security clearance will receive preference.
May serve as a task/project lead.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
- Ability to work in varying conditions to include: traditional office environments with sedentary extended periods required for code development and testing;
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.