- - NJ- Egg Harbor Township
- Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA
- Full Time
Position Purpose: The primary purpose of this position is to perform chemistry tasks at the Transportation Security Laboratory (TSL).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collects and analyzes data using gas chromatography (GC), liquid chromatography with mass spectrometry detection (LCMS), and ion chromatography (IC).
- Performs troubleshooting, maintenance, and method development on GC, LCMS, and IC instrumentation.
- Performs wet chemistry (dilutions, extractions, etc.).
- Collects and analyzes data using explosive trace detection (ETD) systems.
- Performs microscopy measurements using stereomicroscope or polarized light microscope.
- Composes and reviews technical reports and standard operating procedures.
- Composes, reviews, and executes test plans.
- Synthesizes homemade explosives.
- Performs literature reviews.
- Safely handles explosive and other hazardous materials.
- Sources materials and submits purchase requests.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSA's):
- Required KSA's
- Good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Good listening skills.
- Good working knowledge of trace analytical instrumentation (GC, LCMS, and IC).
- Good working skills of software and tools necessary for job functions including Microsoft Office suite.
- Preferred KSA's
- Previous experience handling energetic material.
- Previous experience with ETD systems.
- Previous experience with the development of explosive simulants.
- Familiarity with bulk explosive detection systems.
- Familiarity with computer programing languages, such as LabVIEW, Visual Basic for Applications, MATLAB, Python, C, C++, or Java.
Education/Experience: Incumbent professional should have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in chemistry and at least two years of qualified experience.
Certificates and Licenses: No specific certificates or licenses are required for this position.
Clearance: The ability to obtain a Secret clearance and Department of Homeland Security suitability is required for this position.
Supervisory Responsibilities: The incumbent professional has little to no supervisory responsibilities.
Working Conditions/ Equipment: The incumbent professional is expected to work and/or be available during regular business hours. He/she should also generally be available via e-mail or phone during non-business hours as needed to address critical issues or emergencies. He/she may be required to travel on behalf of the company up to 25%.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.