- - VA-Charlottesville
- VA, USA
- Full Time
An Informatics is responsible for identifying and resolving program or data issues, preparing annotated computer code, and validating computer programs with a focus on forensics and metagenomics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop tools for management, analysis and interpretation of next generation sequencing data
- Implement and execute data processing workflows and automated analytic pipelines
- Create standardized summary tables and figures
- Manage large dataset collections including analytical results and data quality
- Develop annotated computer code and conduct code reviews and programming validation
- Conduct workflow benchmarking
- Identify inconsistencies and initiate resolution of data problems
- Prepare SOPs, document source code/workflows, and write reports to summarize computational
requirements, processing status, and customized analysis results as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of at least one programming language including Python, C/C++, Perl, Bash, or Ruby and knowledge in at least one environment for high-dimensional data analysis such as Python or R is required.
- Competent in using Linux/Unix operating system command line interface
- Ability to develop and query relational databases (MySQL or similar)
- Familiarity with next-generation sequencing data and open-source bioinformatics tools
- Familiarity with AWS cloud computing is desired
- Experience with NextFlow, SnakeMake, or similar workflow/pipeline management systems is desired
- Experience using Version Control software (e.g., Git or similar) to manage programming code
- Proactive, self-starter
- Experience using workflows and sprints throughout the development process Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts, both written and oral
- PhD in Data Science or related field
- 7-10 years of experience managing and analyzing large-scale datasets produced sequencing platforms and deliver solutions for managing, visualizing, analyzing, and interpreting genomic data
- Manipulate and format data to assess data quality and analyze data
Certificates and Licenses:
Click here to enter text.
This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to complete a successful background screening for a security clearance. Candidates with an active security clearance will receive preference.
May serve as a task/project lead.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
- Ability to work in varying conditions to include: traditional office environments with sedentary extended periods required for code development and testing;
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.