- - VA-Charlottesville
- VA, USA
- Full Time
Position Purpose: The incumbent will functionally report to the DNA Leads, and will receive, maintain, and return evidence for the forensic practice and maintain appropriate documentation. Outside of evidence handling, other routine and non-routine duties will be performed as needed by the forensic DNA practice.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for ensuring that evidence received at SigSci is retrieved, and properly accessioned, and stored per the forensic practice SOPs and the direction of the Evidence Manager in a timely manner.
- Ensure that documentation is complete and accurate upon receipt.
- Initiate sample documentation and enter sample information into the case database.
- Coordinate with the DNA Leads on new cases so that they can be properly assigned.
- Organize evidence and extracts as directed by the DNA Leads and ensure that they are stored appropriately.
- Ensure that samples and extracts are packaged and shipped properly according to forensic practice SOPs.
- Conduct weekly decontamination of the forensic DNA laboratories to help minimize DNA contamination.
- Wash racks and other lab ware daily per protocol.
- Perform work wearing appropriate PPE for the activity being performed, and maintain awareness of contamination control.
- Perform maintenance tasks as requested.
- Perform Hazardous Shipper duties and stay current on credentials.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSA's):
- Incumbent must be able to read, write, and communicate fluently in English. Incumbent must be able to read and comprehend short correspondence and memos, and write short correspondence for both internal and external consumption.
- Incumbent must possess the ability to calculate figures and amounts such as turn-around times and have a mastery of basic arithmetic.
- Incumbent must possess sound reasoning skills and regularly show ability to follow detailed standard instructions, with great attention to detail and guidance from company policy manuals and forensic SOPs.
- Incumbent must possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access.
Education/Experience: Incumbent must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
Certificates and Licenses: None.
Clearance: Ability to obtain a DOD Clearance.
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
- The incumbent will work in a general office environment with general office equipment available.
- The incumbent will have potential contact with hazardous materials, including biological fluids and dry ice.
- The incumbent will be required to work a set schedule negotiated with the supervisor.
- The incumbent will carry or otherwise transfer boxes of evidence arriving at reception, and return boxes to shipping.
- The incumbent must be able to lift up to 20 pounds without assistance and 40 pounds with assistance to complete shipping activities.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.