Staff Chemist- Instructor/Trainer
- - VA-Charlottesville
- VA, USA
- Full Time
-The primary purpose of this position is to provide lead technical instruction in the execution of training courses related to defense and national security offered to Signature Science clients.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Deliver technical instruction and training on chemical threat agents and homemade explosives.
• Deliver training on presumptive equipment and detection systems to include but not limited to TruDefender, FirstDefender, LCD 3.3, MultiRae, XRF, and colormetric kits.
• Deliver training on personal protective equipment selection and decontamination methodologies.
• Participate in planning and execution of training scenarios
• Observe students and/or other groups participating in CBRNE exercises and provide verbal and written feedback on performance.
• Design and perform synthesis of CW precursors and homemade explosives.
• Direct and/or conduct sample analysis using various analytical chemistry techniques.
• Write and review standard operating procedures.
• Write project documents with little to no supervision.
• Brief clients and other relevant personnel on activities and results.
• Prepare and deliver presentations at professional conferences and meetings.
• Provide technical expertise and hands-on support of CBRNE Sciences projects
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
o Ability to design and deliver technical presentations specific to the target audience
o Excellent interpersonal skills
o Proficient with MS Office
o Attention to detail, and the ability to appropriately document work and adhere to safety protocols.
o Ability to manage multiple on-going tasks efficiently and with little to no supervision.
• Preferred KSA's
o Site exploitation and knowledge of clandestine laboratory activities.
o Proficiency in personal field expedient decontaminaton methods and techniques.
o Proficency in PPE seclection, use, and don/doff procedures
o Experience in chemical synthesis is a plus, particulary related to explosives and/or other hazardous materials.
o Experience providing technical training on CBRNE threats and analytical techniques is desired.
o Proficiency in analytical method development is desired.
o Basic understanding of IC/military organization and lexicon.
A B.S. or B.A. in Chemistry or Biochemistry and at least 7 years of additional relevant work experience; a M.S. in Chemistry of Biochemistry with at least 5 years of additional relevant work experience; or a PhD in Chemistry or related field with at least 2 years of relevant work experience.
Certificates and Licenses:
No specific certificates or licenses are required for this position.
A minimum of Secret clearance is required for this position. The candidate must be able and willing to complete a successful background screening for a security clearance. Candidates with an active security clearance will receive preference.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
The candidate is expected to work and/or be available during regular business hours. Extended work days and/or weekend work may be required during training events. Extended depolyments to domestic locations is required during training events. The candidate is expected to work in a laboratory and/or field environment that will include working with chemical and environmental hazards. Domestic travel is required for up to 50% of the time. International travel may be required.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.